Old September 25th 13, 11:19 AM
Junior Member

Default Tube Security Project

I am an undergrad at the University of Edinburgh conducting a Geography Dissertation looking into how Security features (post 7/7/2005 attacks) have affected people's use, perception and experience of the Tube. I will also be asking participants whether armed police or the military in stations would make them feel safer.

I am looking for people willing to partake in Go-Along Interviews - I will accompany you on a journey you regularly take, a commute etc. These interviews will be recorded and occur between either the 16-20th October or 20-24 November. This should not add more than 5 mins to your commute and I will be willing to undertake them at the time of your usual journey.

All participants will be anonymous and a copy of my final report will be provided.

Please could anyone interested please post below.

Thank you

Old September 25th 13, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

freddie91 wrote:
I am an undergrad at the University of Edinburgh conducting a Geography
Dissertation looking into how Security features (post 7/7/2005 attacks)
have affected people's use, perception and experience of the Tube. I
will also be asking participants whether armed police or the military in
stations would make them feel safer.

I am looking for people willing to partake in Go-Along Interviews - I
will accompany you on a journey you regularly take, a commute etc. These
interviews will be recorded and occur between either the 16-20th October
or 20-24 November. This should not add more than 5 mins to your commute
and I will be willing to undertake them at the time of your usual
journey.

All participants will be anonymous and a copy of my final report will be
provided.

Please could anyone interested please post below.

Obviously you're free to research this, but other than the disappearance of
rubbish bins (long ago, during the IRA campaigns), the possibly enhanced
security has no effect on passenger journeys. Yes, there are more cameras,
but that's true everywhere in London and other cities, but that's about it.
There aren't any security checkpoints, armed police, etc.

I hardly ever see even BTP officers, and certainly no more than in the
past, except in mainline termini. I don't know anyone who's more afraid of
travelling by Tube now than a decade ago: those who are claustrophobic
avoid it, just as they always did, and lots of people dislike travelling on
hot, overcrowded rush-hour Tubes, just as they always did.

As an aside, the bans on smoking and drinking on the Tube are
well-observed, despite the relative lack of visible security, so late night
travelling is more pleasant than it used to be. Public transport in London
is remarkably good: my journey home this evening involved four LU trains
and a bus, and I didn't have to wait even one minute for any of them. All
of them were clean and all the passengers were well-behaved and
cooperative.
Old September 25th 13, 09:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 14:51:50 -0500, Recliner
wrote:

Obviously you're free to research this, but other than the disappearance of
rubbish bins (long ago, during the IRA campaigns), the possibly enhanced
security has no effect on passenger journeys. Yes, there are more cameras,
but that's true everywhere in London and other cities, but that's about it.
There aren't any security checkpoints, armed police, etc.

I hardly ever see even BTP officers, and certainly no more than in the
past, except in mainline termini. I don't know anyone who's more afraid of
travelling by Tube now than a decade ago: those who are claustrophobic
avoid it, just as they always did, and lots of people dislike travelling on
hot, overcrowded rush-hour Tubes, just as they always did.

No argument with the above.

As an aside, the bans on smoking and drinking on the Tube are
well-observed, despite the relative lack of visible security, so late night
travelling is more pleasant than it used to be.

I am not sure I agree with you about the alcohol ban. Plenty of people
flout the ban with impunity on all modes of transport governed by the
TfL bye-laws.

I must be lucky (or maybe I just don't do as much late night Tube
travelling as I used to), as I've not noticed anyone breaking the
no-drinking rule. Of course, you still get plenty of inebriated passengers
after 11pm, but they usually tanked up before they got on the train or bus
(and I'm sometimes one of them).
Old September 25th 13, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

freddie91 wrote:
[...]

I suggest you might just possibly get a better response if you offer
some basic means to verify your identity: for example, the name of your
tutor for this dissertaiton with his or her academic email address
and/or a verifiable telephone number at the University, and from that
source the means to check your identity. Otherwise we have no idea who
you are. (Eg you might really be one of Ed Miliband's researchers
looking for evidence to support Ed's next great idea: employing 100,000
NEETs with no qualifications to "ride shotgun" on tubes and trains,
giving them real shotguns.)

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old September 26th 13, 07:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

To the extent that there is additional security on the transport
network it is pretty much invisible to passengers which is as it
should be given the massive volumes of people carried.

The OP might want to consider including the Delhi Metro in his study, as
this has airport style X ray and metal detector security. It doesn't work
too well.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.

Old September 26th 13, 12:39 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recliner[_2_] View Post
freddie91 wrote:
[...]

Hi Recliner[_2_],

Thank you very much for your reply. I am aware that there has been a conscious effort not to affect passenger movements. There have however been several banal changes that have changes the experience subtly, restructured stations, different announcements etc.

Would it be possible to meet you between the 16-20th October, or 20-24 November? I will endeavor to join you on a journey you will be doing and as so only add a couple of mins to the journey.

Freddie
Old September 26th 13, 12:41 PM
Junior Member

Hi Paul, Thank you for your response, would it be possible to meet at some point?

Freddie
Old September 26th 13, 12:53 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin[_4_] View Post
freddie91 wrote:
[...]

Hi Robin,

Thank you very much for your response. I am a little uneasy about publishing my supervisors or my university emails on this forum. However feel free to email the University of Edinburgh geography dept and they will happily confirm that I am indeed at doing this dissertation. I have attached the schools emblem which we were told to do to help prove that we are in fact at the University.

(if there is a way to private message I will happily provide details)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Freddie Sullivan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UoE_Geosciences_2_colour..jpg (89.6 KB, 1 views)
Old September 26th 13, 05:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:06:45 on Thu,
26 Sep 2013, freddie91 remarked:

Thanks Neil, much appreciated

But still refrains from revealing his academic email address, which
would put a lot of minds at rest.