Old December 11th 13, 11:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.subterranea

Default Post Office Railway on BBC1

Subjected to The One Show at the parents' this evening, I noticed a few
minutes on the Post Office Railway. A mixture of historical film and
current, ending with a brief trip on the line today (albeit dressed up
for Christmas with obligatory cuteness for early evening BBC1).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ow_11_12_2013/
skip to 39' 11" for the film which lasts about 4 minutes.

Obviously it wasn't the first electrified railway in the world as the
museum manager says, but despite that the segment is well worth viewing.

Nick

Old December 12th 13, 12:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Nick Leverton)
wrote:

Subjected to The One Show at the parents' this evening, I noticed a few
minutes on the Post Office Railway. A mixture of historical film and
current, ending with a brief trip on the line today (albeit dressed up
for Christmas with obligatory cuteness for early evening BBC1).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ow_11_12_2013/
skip to 39' 11" for the film which lasts about 4 minutes.

Obviously it wasn't the first electrified railway in the world as the
museum manager says, but despite that the segment is well worth
viewing.

Obviously as you say but I wondered what he meant to say. First automatic
railway perhaps?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old December 14th 13, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.subterranea

On 12/12/2013 00:54, Nick Leverton wrote:
Subjected to The One Show at the parents' this evening, I noticed a few
minutes on the Post Office Railway. A mixture of historical film and
current, ending with a brief trip on the line today (albeit dressed up
for Christmas with obligatory cuteness for early evening BBC1).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ow_11_12_2013/
skip to 39' 11" for the film which lasts about 4 minutes.

Obviously it wasn't the first electrified railway in the world as the
museum manager says, but despite that the segment is well worth viewing.

Nick

Very interesting, many thanks for that.

Interesting how the presenter put his foot on the 4th rail. Live or not,
you stay away from it.

What is Mail Rail's future at this point? It's still a valuable asset.

My guess, however, is that it will only gather dust, the rails will
become unusable and that it will simply fall apart.

Where there ever any waysides on that system, by the way?
Old December 14th 13, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.subterranea

In message , at 13:12:22 on Sat, 14 Dec
2013, " remarked:

What is Mail Rail's future at this point? It's still a valuable asset.

Hasn't it been severed by Crossrail?

My guess, however, is that it will only gather dust, the rails will
become unusable and that it will simply fall apart.

Because neither the sources nor sinks of its traffic are relevant any
more. Good to preserve half a mile as a museum though.