Old February 4th 14, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL admits to card-clash

In an email this morning...

"I am writing to remind you to only touch the card you intend to
pay with on the yellow card reader. Keeping your Oyster cards
and any contactless payment cards separate helps to avoid 'card
clash'.

"If you touch the reader with a wallet or purse containing lots
of cards, this may lead to 'card clash' and the ticket gates not
opening, slowing down your journey. It could also result in
payment being taken from a card you did not intend to use.

So that's another frog boiled (the one about Oyster meaning all you have
to do is touch your wallet).

I'll add it to the list, including ones like [not TfL] ATMs meaning no
more queues at banks - which I remember every time I queue at an ATM.

Old February 4th 14, 09:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/02/2014 10:37, Roland Perry wrote:

In an email this morning...

"I am writing to remind you to only touch the card you intend to
pay with on the yellow card reader. Keeping your Oyster cards
and any contactless payment cards separate helps to avoid 'card
clash'.

"If you touch the reader with a wallet or purse containing lots
of cards, this may lead to 'card clash' and the ticket gates not
opening, slowing down your journey. It could also result in
payment being taken from a card you did not intend to use.

So that's another frog boiled (the one about Oyster meaning all you have
to do is touch your wallet).

I'll add it to the list, including ones like [not TfL] ATMs meaning no
more queues at banks - which I remember every time I queue at an ATM.

This isn't news, nor some massive shock revelation. TfL have said it
since they started accepting contactless card payments on buses over a
year ago.
Old February 4th 14, 10:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:52:04 on Tue, 4 Feb 2014,
Mizter T remarked:
"I am writing to remind you to only touch the card you intend to
pay with on the yellow card reader. Keeping your Oyster cards
and any contactless payment cards separate helps to avoid 'card
clash'.

"If you touch the reader with a wallet or purse containing lots
of cards, this may lead to 'card clash' and the ticket gates not
opening, slowing down your journey. It could also result in
payment being taken from a card you did not intend to use.

So that's another frog boiled (the one about Oyster meaning all you have
to do is touch your wallet).

I'll add it to the list, including ones like [not TfL] ATMs meaning no
more queues at banks - which I remember every time I queue at an ATM.

This isn't news,

So why email all their [registered] Oyster users?

nor some massive shock revelation.

Depends whether you are a frog, or a frog boiler.

TfL have said it since they started accepting contactless card payments
on buses over a year ago.

I'm still waiting for an opportunity to try out my Barclaycard OnePulse
and see what happens.
Old February 4th 14, 12:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:32:59 on
Tue, 4 Feb 2014, Paul Corfield remarked:
I assume this is part of a long campaign to change behaviours in
advance of contactless bank card roll out in May this year. There
will inevitably be more and more gates and validators with updated
software loaded that will detect bank cards stored alongside Oyster
cards. This means people will suffer card rejections at gates /
validators and may not be aware as to why it is suddenly happening.

I believe there were issues at the station when the test software was
downloaded.

When put in that context it makes sense surely??

Only if one accepts that the designers of both the Oyster and PayWave
technologies were incapable of working out how to exclude clashes.

One obvious possibility is if we can see both an Oyster and a Paywave,
then "we'll assume it's the Oyster that this particular passenger wishes
to use, as long as it has credit".

Although adding in ITSO as well might require said boffins to be able to
tell the difference between three cards.

Why is any of this not absolutely predictable in what's an extremely
controlled environment?
Old February 4th 14, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 11:04:40 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
I'm still waiting for an opportunity to try out my Barclaycard OnePulse
and see what happens.

I received a letter at the weekend from Barclaycard telling me they are
withdrawing the OnePulse product and when my card expires (end of April)
it would be replaced by a different Barclaycard without the Oyster
bit. One way of solving the problem.

Old February 4th 14, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...
In message , at 10:52:04 on Tue, 4 Feb 2014,

This isn't news,

So why email all their [registered] Oyster users?

Because up until now, for the past 12 months if not longer, this
information has only appeared in various newspaper articles and
on web forums. Unfortunately the fact that the said articles
and forums are often accompanied by reader recommendations
to use cooking foil barriers (useless apparently) and similar
nonsense often casts doubt on the original information.

Now however, its official.

michael adams

Old February 4th 14, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

When put in that context it makes sense surely??

Absolutley yes.

But I predict a riot if they don't do summat before mobile phones carry
PayWave or similar functionality as a matter of course. I simply cannot
imagine generations Y and Z not having their phones in their hands
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old February 4th 14, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:23:07 on
Tue, 4 Feb 2014, David Walters remarked:
I'm still waiting for an opportunity to try out my Barclaycard OnePulse
and see what happens.

I received a letter at the weekend from Barclaycard telling me they are
withdrawing the OnePulse product and when my card expires (end of April)
it would be replaced by a different Barclaycard without the Oyster
bit. One way of solving the problem.

Any indication regarding what they propose as a method for transferring
the Oyster credit on such a card away to a replacement 'classic' oyster?
Old February 4th 14, 02:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 14:21:47 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:23:07 on
Tue, 4 Feb 2014, David Walters remarked:
I'm still waiting for an opportunity to try out my Barclaycard OnePulse
and see what happens.

I received a letter at the weekend from Barclaycard telling me they are
withdrawing the OnePulse product and when my card expires (end of April)
it would be replaced by a different Barclaycard without the Oyster
bit. One way of solving the problem.

Any indication regarding what they propose as a method for transferring
the Oyster credit on such a card away to a replacement 'classic' oyster?

Nothing automatic. I'd need to obtain a regular Oyster card from somewhere
and then speak to the Oyster helpline.
Old February 4th 14, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:25:20 on
Tue, 4 Feb 2014, David Walters remarked:
I'm still waiting for an opportunity to try out my Barclaycard OnePulse
and see what happens.

I received a letter at the weekend from Barclaycard telling me they are
withdrawing the OnePulse product and when my card expires (end of April)
it would be replaced by a different Barclaycard without the Oyster
bit. One way of solving the problem.

Any indication regarding what they propose as a method for transferring
the Oyster credit on such a card away to a replacement 'classic' oyster?

Nothing automatic. I'd need to obtain a regular Oyster card from somewhere
and then speak to the Oyster helpline.

Sounds like when my first OnePulse was replaced and I had to spend the
regulation half an hour on the phone to the helpline to transfer the
credit across to the new one.

Another method: could one "surrender" a OnePulse card at a TfL office
and get a cash refund for the balance?