Old March 2nd 14, 09:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 3 or more buses at a stop - what should happen?

Does anyone know what a bus driver is instructed to do when he
approaches a stop and there are two or more buses stopped there already.

There is then little chance of an intending psssenger making a clear
signal or of the driver being able to see any signal made.

So, I show hope that
(a) he will stop even if no signal is seen.
(b) he will let passengers off and on when at the back of the queue, if
it is safe to do so.
(c) he will stop again shen he later reaches the stop sign, lest any
passengers have not been able to get to an earler stopping position.

I hope he will NOT decide there are no passengers for his bus and
overtake the stopped buses.

Peter Lawrence

---

Old March 2nd 14, 10:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message
eb.com...

Does anyone know what a bus driver is instructed to do when he approaches a
stop and there are two or more buses stopped there already.

I don't know what instructions are given, but if the driver knows that at
least one of the preceding buses is on the same route as his (and is not
full),
and he lets any passengers already on his bus alight at that stop if they
wish to do so, the logical thing to do is to overtake if it is safe to do
so.

Peter

Old March 2nd 14, 11:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message
eb.com...
Does anyone know what a bus driver is instructed to do when he approaches
a stop and there are two or more buses stopped there already.

Use their common sense? - the best course of action will depend on variables
such as how many and what routes serve the stop, traffic conditions, how
many passengers there are on the buses involved and likely to be waiting at
stops further down the route.

Let's assume all the vehicles in the scenario you describe serve the same
route, and the approaching driver knows this. My observations for central
London buses a

There is then little chance of an intending psssenger making a clear
signal or of the driver being able to see any signal made.

My experience is that it's up to waiting passengers to take the initiative
by making their way to the back of the queue and making themselves visible
to approaching drivers if they want to board that bus.

So, I show hope that
(a) he will stop even if no signal is seen.

if someone on board the bus requests the stop the driver has to comply,
usually by joining the queue. They open the doors, let passengers on/off,
close the doors and take off. Anyone waiting at the stop who doesn't make
their way to the back of the queue (of buses) won't be catching that bus. If
no one on board requests the stop the driver may decide to skip that stop
(see below).

(b) he will let passengers off and on when at the back of the queue, if it
is safe to do so.

see above

(c) he will stop again shen he later reaches the stop sign, lest any
passengers have not been able to get to an earler stopping position.

In my experience it is very rare for a bus to close doors, move up the
queue, and then re-open the doors unless traffic conditions mean the driver
would be stopping there anyway.

I hope he will NOT decide there are no passengers for his bus and overtake
the stopped buses.

If the approaching bus is lightly loaded and no one on board requested the
stop and traffic conditions are suitable there may be a strong case for it
to overtake and pick up the (large number of) people waiting at the next
stop. This reduces subsequent dwell times for all the vehicles involved and
will get things moving to the benefit of all. I have certainly seen this
happen to good effect.

--
DAS

Old March 3rd 14, 01:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Lawrence" wrote

Does anyone know what a bus driver is instructed to do when he

approaches a stop and there are two or more buses stopped there already.

There is then little chance of an intending psssenger making a clear

signal or of the driver being able to see any signal made.

So, I show hope that

(a) he will stop even if no signal is seen.
(b) he will let passengers off and on when at the back of the queue, if
it is safe to do so.
(c) he will stop again shen he later reaches the stop sign, lest any
passengers have not been able to get to an earler stopping position.

I hope he will NOT decide there are no passengers for his bus and

overtake the stopped buses.

You can see this happening any time in stops in Eden Street,
Kingston-upon-Thames.

Usually different routes and the problem is mitigated by it being often a
first stop after starting from the bus station or a last stop before the bus
station for many of the routes. BUT both TfL and Surrey buses share the
stops or instructions may differ. For the buses I use "no second stop" is
usual and joining passengers are expected to walk up.

--
Mike D

Old March 3rd 14, 11:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-03-03 00:34:31 +0000, D A Stocks said:

(c) he will stop again shen he later reaches the stop sign, lest any
passengers have not been able to get to an earler stopping position.

In my experience it is very rare for a bus to close doors, move up the
queue, and then re-open the doors unless traffic conditions mean the
driver would be stopping there anyway.

That's very annoying if you've just arrived at the stop and the driver
feels he's already done his bit half-way down the street.

E.

Old March 3rd 14, 12:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 23:09:26 -0000, "Peter Masson"
wrote:
I don't know what instructions are given, but if the driver knows

that at
least one of the preceding buses is on the same route as his (and

is not
full),

This is a very good reason London should start showing the
destination to the rear, as this happens a lot with short journeys
and isn't on.

Neil

--
Neil Williams. Use neil before the at to reply.
Old March 3rd 14, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 03/03/2014 11:46, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 22:53:32 +0000, Peter Lawrence
wrote:

Does anyone know what a bus driver is instructed to do when he
approaches a stop and there are two or more buses stopped there already.

There is then little chance of an intending psssenger making a clear
signal or of the driver being able to see any signal made.

So, I show hope that
(a) he will stop even if no signal is seen.
(b) he will let passengers off and on when at the back of the queue, if
it is safe to do so.
(c) he will stop again shen he later reaches the stop sign, lest any
passengers have not been able to get to an earler stopping position.

I hope he will NOT decide there are no passengers for his bus and
overtake the stopped buses.

If we are talking about London Buses then the rules are contained in
the "big red book".

This has been released by TfL via FOI and to Transport for All.

http://www.transportforall.org.uk/files/brb3part1.pdf

See pages 10 and 19 for the points you raise.

I will state the obvious by saying that sometimes drivers do not
follow all of these rules. I've certainly had buses drive past a long
queue of buses at Kings Cross including one I was waiting for and
there was not another one at the stop.

Thankyou Paul. I was talking about London buses and they seem to have
covered the subject succinctly and adequately. They might advise a
driver who is moving forward to keep his LH indicator flashing so that
passengers can deduce what is happening.

A driver directly behind other buses has a poor view of hte bus stop
area and deserves our sympathy.

---

Old March 3rd 14, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Neil Williams" wrote

wrote:

I don't know what instructions are given, but if the driver knows

that at least one of the preceding buses is on the same route as his (and
is not full),

This is a very good reason London should start showing the

destination to the rear, as this happens a lot with short journeys
and isn't on.

But if the "same route" bus wasn't the last in the queue it wouldn't help,
nor can the driver easily see if the bus ahead is full.

--
Mike D

Old March 4th 14, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
I don't know what instructions are given, but if the driver knows

that at
least one of the preceding buses is on the same route as his (and

is not
full),

This is a very good reason London should start showing the destination
to the rear, as this happens a lot with short journeys and isn't on.

Which route do you experience that on?

(An aside Neil - the wonky quoting of the previous correspondent seen
above is how I currently see your postings - I don't think the issue is
at my end.)
Old March 4th 14, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 03/03/2014 02:24, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
"Peter Lawrence" wrote

[...]

Add Surbiton to that, probably the same buses.

---