Old April 1st 14, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default Red route lines

My brother has been issued a PCN notice for parking on a red route.

The road in question is a two lane slip road, with a parking area in
front of a row of shops.

The Red lines (dotted) run along the left hand edge of the two lanes,
the parking area is to the left of the lines.

He was parked to the left of the dotted lines.

Any advice, was he breaking the rules?

---

Old April 1st 14, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On 01/04/2014 20:14, Tony Dragon wrote:
My brother has been issued a PCN notice for parking on a red route.

The road in question is a two lane slip road, with a parking area in
front of a row of shops.

The Red lines (dotted) run along the left hand edge of the two lanes,
the parking area is to the left of the lines.

He was parked to the left of the dotted lines.

Any advice, was he breaking the rules?

Sounds like he was parked in a bay.

See the section headed "Red bays" on this TfL webpage:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/red-routes/rules-of-red-routes/parking

---quote---
If a red route parking bay is marked out by a red dotted line, it
indicates that the bay can be used outside peak traffic hours, however,
peak traffic hours often vary from area to area and even from road to
road. Always check the signs. For example, some bays may only be
available during the morning and early afternoon, some may be available
only during the late afternoon and in the evening.

Please remember parking is not permitted in all bays – some may be
reserved for other activities, for example, loading or disabled parking
only.
---/quote---

I would imagine he was breaking the rules, either by parking in it
outside of permitted hours, or by parking in it at all because it was
e.g. a loading bay.

My impression is that PCNs from TfL are generally issued on a sound
basis, compared to some of the more 'eager' enforcement activities of
some London boroughs (perhaps more accurately 'on behalf of some boroughs').
Old April 1st 14, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-04-01 19:40:01 +0000, Mizter T said:

My impression is that PCNs from TfL are generally issued on a sound basis

Yes but they can be quite nasty. I've had three tickets recently. One
was parking at 9.55 am in a red route bay that is free after 10 am - I
sat in the car until 10 but was issued a ticket by a camera operator.
Another was parking in a bay that had a council ticket machine right by
it on the kerb - I bought a council ticket and didn't see a TFL sign by
the bay. I appealed that one to no avail. And I followed what I thought
was a congestion charge avoidance route to Tower Bridge - signposted by
TFL I thought - but it cut across the zone briefly.

E.