Old May 29th 14, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default S stock at Northfields

Noticed one sitting there today mid morning. Why would it be down there,
spare stabling or testing?

On a similar note - how far down the piccadilly line towards heathrow can
surface stock venture?

--
Spud

Old May 30th 14, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 May 2014 20:06:14 +0100
Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message ,
writes
On a similar note - how far down the piccadilly line towards heathrow can
surface stock venture?

Hounslow Central; assuming S stock has now been cleared past
Northfields.

How would they clear it - is it all done in a computer sim or would they
actually drag a train down there at night to see if it bumped the scenery?

--
Spud

Old May 30th 14, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
On Thu, 29 May 2014 20:06:14 +0100
Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message ,
d writes
On a similar note - how far down the piccadilly line towards heathrow
can surface stock venture?

Hounslow Central; assuming S stock has now been cleared past
Northfields.

How would they clear it - is it all done in a computer sim or would
they actually drag a train down there at night to see if it bumped
the scenery?

Not sure, but I notice there's an article in the latest Rail magazine
about S stock venturing to Northfields, Ealing Broadway, etc. As these are
all places where older surface stock went, I assume they have a pretty
good idea that S stock will fit, and drive the first train slowly. If in
doubt, I suppose they could use a gauging test vehicle first, with
polystyrene cladding.

One reason cited for going to Northfields was to be be reassured what
would happen if a future District line train was accidentally sent that
way (ditto to North Ealing, etc, as mistakes do happen at that junction,
and that branch of the Picc is sometimes used for SSL stock transfers).
These were, of course, originally District line branches anyway, and
engineered for surface stock.

Good points. Don't forget the brake testing stretch between Northfields and
Acton Town as well.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old May 30th 14, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
In article
,
(Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
On Thu, 29 May 2014 20:06:14 +0100
Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message ,
d writes
[...]

Yes, but I don't think that was mentioned in the article. I wonder if it's
still needed for "packaged" trains like the S stock, as opposed to previous
LU-designed and modified stock? All S stock trains are tested before
delivery at Old Dalby, and I don't suppose LU will change the brake specs
of in-service trains without reference to Bombardier.
Old May 30th 14, 11:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
In article

,
(Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
On Thu, 29 May 2014 20:06:14 +0100
Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message ,
d writes
[...]

I can't imagine that things won't change over the next 40 years however.

--
Colin Rosenstiel