Old June 24th 14, 11:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk

Mizter T wrote:

On 24/06/2014 20:48, Mark Bestley wrote:
[...]
Keeping your Oyster card in your wallet or purse with other cards could
cause card clash.

This all looks like commonsense to me - and I only visit the capital
occasionally.

Yes but I currently have one holder for all cards - who will pay for the
extra holders I need now?

Plastic ticket wallets can be obtained for free from ticket offices
(whilst they're still open) and I think 'Oyster Stop' newsagents

Can Tfl assure me that I get a red light and not credit the wrong card.

No.

That is the important point - I can live with the otherr errors and
carry on complaing but getting it wring is a problem.

Oh well it means slowing the process down so I can confirm that the
correct card has ben registered - I assume that any process is incorrect
until shown exactly what happened from long experience with computers

The current system works. How can I keep it?

The system is changing, so you can't (the world changes). Many people
will find the new system - of being able to pay by contactless payment
cards (rather than Oyster) - very convenient.

If you have a contactless payment card, when CPC payments go live across
all modes (shortly), take your Oyster card out of your card holder and
use your CPC instead.

--
Mark
Old June 24th 14, 11:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

From RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest Tuesday 24 June 2014 Volume 28 : Issue 04

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 19:41:13 +0100
From: Wm redacted

Subject: London transport authority acknowledges contactless technology risk

How many organisations have warned users of their cards about the risks vs
how many have been discovered and reported ?

I was checking the balance on my Oyster card [1] on-line and noticed this:

http://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments...ter/card-clash

= = = =

Card clash

Keeping your Oyster card in your wallet or purse with other cards could
cause card clash.

If you keep your Oyster card in your wallet or purse with your bank cards,
you might occasionally see a red light when you touch it on a card reader at
stations and on buses. The red light means you haven't paid for your journey
and if you are at a ticket gate, it may not open. This can happen even if
you've got enough pay as you go credit or a valid Travelcard on your Oyster
card because you could be experiencing 'card clash'.

Many cards are now issued with contactless technology - the same as Oyster
cards:

* Most bank, credit and charge card companies are issuing new cards
ready for contactless payments

* Many companies, educational establishments now issue contactless
cards for cashless catering or as building entry passes

If you touch your Oyster card on a yellow card reader when it's in the same
wallet or purse as another contactless card, the reader may detect more than
one card. When this happens, the card reader doesn't know which one to read
so rejects them and you could experience any of the following:

* The ticket gate does not open.

* You get a red light when you touch in on a yellow card reader on a bus,
ticket gate or free-standing yellow card reader.

* On buses, where contactless payment cards are accepted, your fare could be
charged to a card that you did not intend to pay with.

To avoid card clash:

* Don't touch a wallet or purse with multiple cards on the yellow card
reader.

* Keep your Oyster card separate from your contactless payment cards only
touch the card you want to use on the reader when touching in and out.

Later in 2014, when contactless payment cards are accepted for travel on
Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground and most National Rail services in
London, one of the following could also happen:

* Your fare could be charged to a card you didn't intend to pay with.

* You could be charged two maximum fares if the card reader reads one card
when you touch in at the start of your journey and a different card at the
end when you touch out.

* Remember to separate your Oyster card from other contactless cards when
touching in and out.

[1] Oyster is a plastic smartcard which can hold pay as you go credit,
Travelcards and Bus & Tram season tickets. You can use an Oyster card to
travel on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground and most National Rail
services in London.

The Freedom Pass also can clash (error 94 on the reader)

---

Old June 24th 14, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24/06/2014 20:38, Mizter T wrote:

On 24/06/2014 20:18, CJB wrote:
From RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest Tuesday 24 June 2014 Volume 28 :
Issue 04

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 19:41:13 +0100
From: Wm redacted

Subject: London transport authority acknowledges contactless
technology risk

How many organisations have warned users of their cards about the
risks vs
how many have been discovered and reported ?

I was checking the balance on my Oyster card [1] on-line and noticed
this:

http://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments...ter/card-clash

Card clash is not news. Has been discussed in the past on utl (in
particular I recall a particularly tabloid-esque subject line from Mr
Perry).

TfL has been publicising the risk in anticipation of contactless payment
card acceptance going live across all modes (currently only available on
buses - though there's a system wide trial), however card clash has been
a possibility from the start what with people having other RFID type
cards (commonly building access cards) in their wallet / purse / pocket.

I hear a TFL announcement all the time on SWT stations.

---

Old June 25th 14, 12:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Mark Bestley) wrote:

Scott wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 12:18:07 -0700 (PDT), CJB
wrote:

Keeping your Oyster card in your wallet or purse with other cards could
cause card clash.

This all looks like commonsense to me - and I only visit the capital
occasionally.

Yes but I currently have one holder for all cards - who will pay for the
extra holders I need now?

TfL used to give out wallets for Oyster cards. I have several. Don't they do
so any more?

Can Tfl assure me that I get a red light and not credit the wrong card.

That's why they are warning you!

The current system works. How can I keep it?

The world moves on. You can always pay cash, the premium rate.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old June 25th 14, 01:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

wrote:

Keeping your Oyster card in your wallet or purse with other cards could
cause card clash.

This all looks like commonsense to me - and I only visit the capital
occasionally.

Yes but I currently have one holder for all cards - who will pay for the
extra holders I need now?

TfL used to give out wallets for Oyster cards. I have several. Don't they do
so any more?

Can Tfl assure me that I get a red light and not credit the wrong card.

That's why they are warning you!

The current system works. How can I keep it?

The world moves on. You can always pay cash, the premium rate.

But not on buses for much longer.
Old June 25th 14, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:38:56 on Tue, 24 Jun
2014, Mizter T remarked:
Card clash is not news. Has been discussed in the past on utl (in
particular I recall a particularly tabloid-esque subject line from Mr
Perry).

"TfL admits to card-clash" 4th Feb. Sounds pretty matter of fact to me.

I've been reporting Oyster card-clash here for years (originally as a
result of having a credit-card sized door-entry rfid in my wallet).

We also speculated on how they were going to prevent card-clash with the
Barclays Onepulse combined Oyster and credit card; it didn't occur that
the was "they won't", and that it need to be withdrawn.

Of all the risks listed by the OP, by far the most serious is the "pair
of unresolved journeys" one.