Old June 26th 14, 02:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk

On 26/06/2014 14:13, tim..... wrote:
[...]
you can't put you non-Oyster card in an Oyster wallet.
You'd never know which was which

Never heard of marker pens?

rubs off

Use an indelible one.

still comes off (eventually)

If this is genuinely your complaint then may I suggest you don't use
public transport at all, because it'll confuse you too much.

Old June 26th 14, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

On 26/06/2014 00:55, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 23:00:36 +0100, "
wrote:

What are the plans for expanding contactless into other cities or
further afield on NR?

I think the Rail Delivery Group are considering the technology but
beyond that I don't know. I am not aware that any of the city regions
are considering contactless bank cards - they're all struggling to get
ITSO based schemes into service.

FWIW, Merseyrail now accepts payments for paper tickets by
contactless card:

http://www.merseyrail.org/tickets-pa...ntactless-paym
ent.aspx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-24794486

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/...rail-completes
-deployment-of-contactless-ticket-payment-systems/

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.co...roduces-contac
tless-payment

The latter two articles make it clear that this is contactless
payment being added as an option to ticket offices and to TVMs
(initially at the former, with the latter following later) - so a
much more conventional deployment of the technology compared to
London.

(I can see a quite delightful scope for confusion should TVMs and
ticket offices in London start accepting contactless cards as a means
of paying for conventional paper tickets!)

The big gain is not having to visit a ticket office or ticket machine.
e-Tickets and Print-at-Home do that too. If you've seen the ticket
office/machine queues at Cambridge at times (Saturday morning is often
worst) you'd see why such options are needed.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old June 26th 14, 03:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:52:44
on Thu, 26 Jun 2014, remarked:

http://www.merseyrail.org/tickets-passes/ticket-information/contactless-payment.aspx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-24794486

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3512283/merseyrail-completes-deployment-of-contactless-ticket-payment-systems/

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Rail-News/merseyrail-introduces-contactless-payment

The latter two articles make it clear that this is contactless
payment being added as an option to ticket offices and to TVMs
(initially at the former, with the latter following later) - so a
much more conventional deployment of the technology compared to
London.

(I can see a quite delightful scope for confusion should TVMs and
ticket offices in London start accepting contactless cards as a means
of paying for conventional paper tickets!)

The big gain is not having to visit a ticket office or ticket machine.
e-Tickets and Print-at-Home do that too. If you've seen the ticket
office/machine queues at Cambridge at times (Saturday morning is often
worst) you'd see why such options are needed.

It's other places as well. Maybe I'm just unlucky but last time I went
through Ely station the ticket queue has 15 people standing in line. At
Nottingham it was routine for the queue at "tickets for other than
today" line to take 20 minutes.
Old June 26th 14, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:20:47 on Thu, 26
Jun 2014, tim..... remarked:
It certainly seems reasonable that the reader should be "intelligent"
and look for:

Freedom pass
Oyster with relevant season
Oyster with PAYG balance

before randomly selecting debiting your CC

Even if it can't (for whatever technical reason TfL can think of)
actually intelligently charge the correct card from the above list ,
it should certainly decide not to charge the CC if one of the others
is found.

It can't, and doesn't,

I know that it doesn't (that's almost a given)

but I don't see that it can't.

do all that in the short interval it has available.

So extending that window is a worse use of time that having pax stand
at the barrier for 30 seconds whilst he fusses about which card to use?

The speed of operating gates has always been fundamental for TfL, even
though I believe they've had to sacrifice a little to accommodate
contactless CCs at all.
Old June 26th 14, 04:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/06/2014 15:52, wrote:
[...]
The big gain is not having to visit a ticket office or ticket machine.
e-Tickets and Print-at-Home do that too. If you've seen the ticket
office/machine queues at Cambridge at times (Saturday morning is often
worst) you'd see why such options are needed.

For the avoidance of talking at cross purposes, you're referring to
being able to use a CPC to directly pay for your journey (i.e. using it
to touch-in at the start, and touch-out at the end) - the Merseyrail
scheme is just about using contactless for the retail transaction of
buying a conventional paper ticket.

And yes, I'm very well aware of that big gain - Oyster offers it, to a
significant extent. You need to have credit on your Oyster card (which
can be guaranteed if one opts-in to auto-topup), but being able to
arrive at the station a minute or so before a train and just being able
to touch-in without faffing around buying a ticket has been nigh-on
revolutionary for many travellers in London.

(For the Cambridge example and similar, this is where being able to buy
a ticket for loading onto an ITSO smartcard online - via a smartphone
whilst on the go, for example - and so being able to sidestep the queues
and just swipe-in at the station should prove very useful.)

Old June 26th 14, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/06/2014 16:31, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]
The speed of operating gates has always been fundamental for TfL, even
though I believe they've had to sacrifice a little to accommodate
contactless CCs at all.

My subjective take on using CPCs on London buses is that it does takes
that smidgeon longer for it to validate.
Old June 26th 14, 05:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

On 26/06/2014 15:52,
wrote:
[...]
[...]

You've more or less got it. Cambridge has high internet ticket sales but
they all have to be collected from the same TVMs as have large queues of
people buying tickets at present. Even though some TOC, e.g. Cross Country
do Print-at-Home it doesn't seem to be possible for journeys from Cambridge.

Things should be better after a major ticket office expansion later this
year but if they could divert more ticketing transactions from the station
it would be better still.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old June 26th 14, 06:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On 26/06/2014 14:13, tim..... wrote:
[...]
you can't put you non-Oyster card in an Oyster wallet.
You'd never know which was which

Never heard of marker pens?

rubs off

Use an indelible one.

still comes off (eventually)

If this is genuinely your complaint then may I suggest you don't use
public transport at all, because it'll confuse you too much.

I'm perfectly capable of separating my cards at my own expense.

It's the person who thinks that TfL should buy him a new wallet who has the
problem

tim