Old February 9th 04, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New Tax Discs

Does anyone know what information the bar-code on the new style Tax
Discs stores and who has access to reading the code.

Nigel

Old February 9th 04, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I guess that the bar code is merely a unique identifier which when it is
recorded with the bar code on the application form forms a valuable record
of personal details and the source of the disc.. The two codes together
would prove that the disc is genuine

--

Regards

John

"Nigel" wrote in message
Does anyone know what information the bar-code on the new style Tax
Discs stores and who has access to reading the code.

Nigel

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Old February 10th 04, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:07:15 +0000, Martin Rich
wrote:

Incidentally, something that I'd often wondered, and somebody here
might know. Do the London bus operators (and, for that matter,
anybody else with a big fleet of vehicles) just send somebody down to
the post office every month with a whole pile of tax disc renewal
forms and a company cheque? Or is there some more streamlined process
for bulk renewal?

Looking at the DVLA website, it seems there's some form of Electronic
Re-Registration process for Fleet operators, though it doesn't go into
specifics.

It is, of course, also possible that the poor old Office Junior could
get sent to the Post Office with a suitably large cheque (current rate
for most double deckers being £500 for 12 months, £330 for Midi Buses
[36 to 60 seats]), but extremely unlikely unless it's a very small
operation.

HTH,

Barry

--
Barry Salter, barry at southie dot me dot uk
Read uk.* newsgroups? Read uk.net.news.announce!

DISCLAIMER: The above comments do not necessarily represent the
views of my employers.
Old February 10th 04, 06:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Not sure how this answers, but I've seen a few Arriva the Shires buses
with their Tax Discs stamped for the Arndale Centre post office in
Luton.
Which makes me wonder if Arriva the Shires (at least) really do send
someone down to the post office once a month.

Old February 12th 04, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Martin Rich
writes
Does anyone know what information the bar-code on the new style Tax
Discs stores and who has access to reading the code.

If you get a tax disc at a post office, the counter attendant scans
the bar code before giving you the disc.

This indicates to me that the bar code simply contains the number of the
disc. I'm away from my cars for a couple of days, so I can't easily
check this.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old February 13th 04, 07:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:50:30 +0000, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

In article , Martin Rich
writes
Does anyone know what information the bar-code on the new style Tax
Discs stores and who has access to reading the code.

If you get a tax disc at a post office, the counter attendant scans
the bar code before giving you the disc.

This indicates to me that the bar code simply contains the number of the
disc. I'm away from my cars for a couple of days, so I can't easily
check this.

Unlike most other bar codes, the code on the tax disc doesn't have the
numbers printed next to the bars. I'd also suspect it's the disc
number, but don't know how to read bar codes visually so can't verify
that

Martin
Old February 18th 04, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 17:43:10 GMT, Nigel wrote:
Does anyone know what information the bar-code on the new style Tax
Discs stores and who has access to reading the code.

I got a new tax disc today and I've just scanned the bar code.

It appears to be a type 128 code and has a 14 digit number encoded.
The last 10 digits match the number across the top of the disc. In
my case the first 4 digits are 0905 for a disc that runs out at the
end of Feb next year. 0205 would have seemed more obvious.

David
Old February 18th 04, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:32:45 +0000, David Walters
wrote:

It appears to be a type 128 code and has a 14 digit number encoded.
The last 10 digits match the number across the top of the disc. In
my case the first 4 digits are 0905 for a disc that runs out at the
end of Feb next year. 0205 would have seemed more obvious.

You have to remember that these are the idiots who wasted good money
inventing the new number plate system which pandered to the motor industry.

greg

--
You do a lot less thundering in the pulpit against the Harlot
after she marches right down the aisle and kicks you in the nuts.
Old February 18th 04, 09:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Greg Hennessy" wrote in message

You have to remember that these are the idiots who wasted good money
inventing the new number plate system which pandered to the motor

industry.

In what way does it pander to the motor industry? Changing the 'year
identifier' twice a year was brought in with the old single letter
identifier scheme. As I understand it the car industry would much rather not
have a change at set points in the year but rather have a continuous series
and so reduce the peaks and troughs in car sales after and before the
changeover time.

Of course if you're not fussy about when your car was born according to the
number plate you can get a bargain.

Dave