Old November 17th 14, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The short sloping "railway" by the Millennium Bridge

.... was out of order yesterday on my first attempt to use it after
finding out about it in this forum. Are sloping lifts less reliable than
vertical ones? I can't see why a vertical lift wasn't used in the
location in question, perhaps they were just showing off, but that isn;t
much use unless the thing works.

If the technology was reliable, it could perhaps be incorporated into
the central stairway of some elevator shafts.

Old November 17th 14, 04:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:48:11 +0000, Basil Jet wrote:

... was out of order yesterday on my first attempt to use it after
finding out about it in this forum. Are sloping lifts less reliable than
vertical ones? I can't see why a vertical lift wasn't used in the
location in question, perhaps they were just showing off, but that isn;t
much use unless the thing works.

If the technology was reliable, it could perhaps be incorporated into
the central stairway of some elevator shafts.

An incline lift is being installed at Greenford Station.
http://www.transportforall.org.uk/ne...-incline-lift-
Old November 17th 14, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Walters" wrote

An incline lift is being installed at Greenford Station.

http://www.transportforall.org.uk/ne...-incline-lift-

http://www.transportforall.org.uk/ne...-incline-lift-

the final '-' is needed - I got "

Sorry

There is no content for this section yet.

on my first click so went via Google

==
Research by Ealing Council shows that installing incline lifts are a cost
effective solution for making inaccessible stations step-free. TfL initially
estimated a cost of £10m to install a traditional vertical lift at Greenford
station. The incline lift makes a huge saving as it only costs £2.2m with a
proposed £200,000 contribution from Ealing Council.
==

--
Mike D

Old November 19th 14, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/11/2014 15:48, Basil Jet wrote:

... was out of order yesterday on my first attempt to use it after
finding out about it in this forum. Are sloping lifts less reliable than
vertical ones? I can't see why a vertical lift wasn't used in the
location in question, perhaps they were just showing off, but that isn;t
much use unless the thing works.

If the technology was reliable, it could perhaps be incorporated into
the central stairway of some elevator shafts.

The Millennium Bridge Inclinator certainly seems to have had more than
it's fair share of troubles (unless of course having lots of troubles is
the fair share that an inclined lift gets). It was out of action for
ages until perhaps a couple of years ago (bit hazy on the timeline).