Old February 11th 04, 10:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster - one day bus pass

Tried to buy a one day bus pass from the ticket office at Holborn yesterday,
using credit off my pre pay. The ticket clerk told me that it was only
possible to issue a minimum of seven day bus pass using pre pay credit, so
I had to pay cash instead. Does anyone know if what I was told is correct
and if so what the reason behind it is?

Old February 11th 04, 10:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

As far as I am aware you can not use pre-pay as a method of payment yet. The
facility is there both the ticket office and the passenger machines are
capable but no instructions on its use yet.
Buy your ticket from the passenger machine and ignore the small sticker that
tells you not to.

Old February 11th 04, 10:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:02:24 +0000 (UTC), J Lynch wrote:
Tried to buy a one day bus pass from the ticket office at Holborn yesterday,
using credit off my pre pay. The ticket clerk told me that it was only
possible to issue a minimum of seven day bus pass using pre pay credit,

I tried to do something similar at Finchley Central. The main ticket
machine was closed and I wanted a one day travelcard. The thing
that annoyed me wasn't that I couldn't do it but that the chap
behind the counter didn't know you could buy paper tickets from the
machine with pre-pay credit.

David
Old February 12th 04, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

There has been a major change in the ticketing system and the training of
the staff was basic and did not cover every aspect. Using pre-pay as a
method of payment was not even touched.

As it is a different company that deal with the upgrading of software on
both the passenger machines and the ticket office machines(this is all done
remotely) there is also a lack of communication as to when things have been
changed.

Regularly staff will come on duty and the menu's will have changed. Their
fast keys will have been cancelled and they then have to find where the most
popular tickets have been put.

This is in no means a way of excusing this members of staffs ignorance but a
way of explaining what is going on. I personally think the fault is a lack
of effective communication.

The good thing about ticket office staff is there ability to have things
continuously changed but still manage to cope. Without this ability I think
you would have seen more offices shut in January.

Old February 12th 04, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Anon
writes
There has been a major change in the ticketing system and the training of
the staff was basic and did not cover every aspect. Using pre-pay as a
method of payment was not even touched.

I was trained on Pre Pay but it was a few weeks before it went live and
before anyone knew the problems Error 24 would cause.
Most of us were trained to use the Hand Held Checker too but that was
months ago.

As it is a different company that deal with the upgrading of software on
both the passenger machines and the ticket office machines(this is all done
remotely) there is also a lack of communication as to when things have been
changed.

Regularly staff will come on duty and the menu's will have changed. Their
fast keys will have been cancelled and they then have to find where the most
popular tickets have been put.

This is in no means a way of excusing this members of staffs ignorance but a
way of explaining what is going on. I personally think the fault is a lack
of effective communication.

The good thing about ticket office staff is there ability to have things
continuously changed but still manage to cope. Without this ability I think
you would have seen more offices shut in January.

I couldn't agree more; I'm glad I don't have the MF license right now.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old February 12th 04, 08:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:12:08 -0000, "Anon"
wrote:
As far as I am aware you can not use pre-pay as a method of payment yet. The
facility is there both the ticket office and the passenger machines are
capable but no instructions on its use yet.
Buy your ticket from the passenger machine and ignore the small sticker that
tells you not to.

It's interesting that many LUL people think that, I first used pre-pay
to buy a ticket in December! As it doesn't yet work on the bus,
that's mostly all I've used it for. Sadly it does seem to be debiting
it correctly :-(

I suppose it's a communication problem again, as left to their own
devices, without ever needing to buy a ticket, employees aren't
necessarily going to discover these things whereas passengers might.

Richard.