Old March 19th 15, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Overground down again

Mizter T wrote:
On 08/03/2015 23:43, Recliner wrote:

eastender wrote:
[big snip]
Unlike that very left-wing Guardian polemic article, I've no problem with
privately owned land, or the way that London has sprouted various
curiously-shaped big buildings of late. I like the Gherkin, the Shard and
even the new Walkie Talkie (less so the bland Heron Tower). The new Canary
Wharf Crossrail station is also very promising. Let's hope OOC gets similar
developments.

You obviously have no problem then with privatisation of vast tracts of
cities where no one can protest or take pictures without permission, and
where the adjoining poor neighbourhoods are almost totally excluded from
investment. Instead what we get is space opimised for commerce and
bland upmarket shopping.

Actually, you can take amateur pics in those areas without permission, and
I often do. I've never been involved a protest in my life, and as far as
I'm concerned, they're a nuisance that stops me from getting to places, not
something I welcome or would want to encourage.

I find that a pretty depressing attitude from an articulate person such
as yourself. I'd hope you don't wish to suppress the right to protest,
but one could say such a notion is implicit in your comments.

Perhaps you should find something that fires you up and makes you want to
protest? There's enough out there.

Even if I felt that strongly about an issue, I don't think street protests
are an effective or appropriate way to change anything. I don't object to
others wasting their time and efforts doing so, but I'd rather they didn't
make me waste my time either.

Old March 20th 15, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 22:03:11 +0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Even if I felt that strongly about an issue, I don't think street protests
are an effective or appropriate way to change anything. I don't object to

Indeed. But they make teenagers and twentysomethings feel like they're making
a difference even if its completely illusory.

--
Spud