London Banter

-   -   World Clock at Piccadilly Circus (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14255-world-clock-piccadilly-circus.html)

CJB March 25th 15 02:07 PM

World Clock at Piccadilly Circus

It seems that the famous world clock is showing signs of age, it is rarely if ever on time. It is situated in the main circular concourse of Piccadilly Circus tube station. There is actually a watch mender's kiosk next door. I wonder why T4L doesn't have the world clock serviced or restored?

[email protected] March 25th 15 02:31 PM

On 25.03.15 15:07, CJB wrote:
It seems that the famous world clock is showing signs of age, it is rarely if ever on time. It is situated in the main circular concourse of Piccadilly Circus tube station. There is actually a watch mender's kiosk next door. I wonder why T4L doesn't have the world clock serviced or restored?

I wonder whatever happened to the World Time Clock near Alexanderplatz,
in what was then East Berlin.

michael adams[_7_] March 25th 15 03:57 PM

"CJB" wrote in message
It seems that the famous world clock is showing signs of age,
it is rarely if ever on time. It is situated in the main circular
concourse of Piccadilly Circus tube station. There is actually
a watch mender's kiosk next door. I wonder why T4L doesn't have
the world clock serviced or restored?

The very fact that its rarely on time would suggest that its
a mechanical clock which means it could never hope to compete
with the digital watches of passengers which might only have
cost a few quid. Quite possibly when it was installed it could
be expected to be more accurate than passengers watches, certainly
those not wearing chronometers but that's no longer the case.
The problem might be that if there's a master mechanical clock,
and all the other dials are powered by linkages from that, then
a standard quartz movement might be unable to produce the
necessary torque to power the other dials.

michael adams

Offramp March 25th 15 06:18 PM

World Clock at Piccadilly Circus

That bloke never has the time LOL. No, seriously, he must be the busiest watch mender I've seen since bin laden went to sea.

Richard March 25th 15 06:55 PM

World Clock at Piccadilly Circus

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 15:31:48 +0000, "
wrote:

On 25.03.15 15:07, CJB wrote:
It seems that the famous world clock is showing signs of age, it is rarely if ever on time. It is situated in the main circular concourse of Piccadilly Circus tube station. There is actually a watch mender's kiosk next door. I wonder why T4L doesn't have the world clock serviced or restored?

I wonder whatever happened to the World Time Clock near Alexanderplatz,
in what was then East Berlin.

Still there, last time I was...

Richard.