Old March 30th 15, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR hole

I can't help thinking the lack of gates on the DLR is a gaping hole in
the Oyster system especially during rush hour when the trains are far too
packed for onboard ticket inspections to be feasible. Isn't it about time
TfL addressed this problem since there must be a huge amount of local fair
dodging going on?

--
Spud

Old March 30th 15, 11:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 12:07:49 +0100
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 30/03/2015 11:25, d wrote:
I can't help thinking the lack of gates on the DLR is a gaping hole in
the Oyster system especially during rush hour when the trains are far too
packed for onboard ticket inspections to be feasible. Isn't it about time
TfL addressed this problem since there must be a huge amount of local fair
dodging going on?

--
Spud

Surely you would then have to man every single station at a significant
extra cost? I believe the (reasonably sensible) policy is that if there
are gates they have to be manned such that no-one gets stuck either side
of them.

Probably. But TfL ditched the bendy buses with the fatuous reason that fare
evasion was costing them a fortune (though I suspect somewhat less than the
turkey that replaced them) so surely the DLR must be doing the same? Unless
it was all BS.

What I do wonder is the number of times I've been gripped between
Shadwell and Bank around lunchtime - surely that's one of the few parts
of the DLR that isn't actually subject to fare evasion as you're then
entering an area where almost all stations are gated (Waterloo excepted).

Not all tube stations have gates. Finsbury park for example. And others have
gate free links to mainline services you could "escape" on. So the tube isn't
as impenetrable as some would have you believe. Which means someone commuting
from one of these stations to somewhere on the DLR could in theory have a free
trip.

--
Spud

Old March 30th 15, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 30/03/2015 11:25, d wrote:
[...]

Isn't Finsbury Park gated now? I think I had to go through two sets of gates between Victoria Line and GTR last week.
--
Colin Rosenstiel