Old May 15th 15, 01:56 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default UK faces first major train strike in 20 years

On Fri, 15 May 2015 06:42:21 -0700 (PDT), furnessvale
wrote:

Sadly, even as we chew the fat, road haulage companies will be circling
railfreight customers with 12 month contracts as the price for helping out
during a 24 hour strike.

I do not like it one bit. Things should never have reached this
point. But, railwaymen are entitled to expect at least a fair day's
pay for an excellent day's work.

Selah

Old May 15th 15, 02:55 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:56:14 on
Fri, 15 May 2015, e27002 aurora remarked:
Sadly, even as we chew the fat, road haulage companies will be circling
railfreight customers with 12 month contracts as the price for helping out
during a 24 hour strike.

I do not like it one bit. Things should never have reached this
point. But, railwaymen are entitled to expect at least a fair day's
pay for an excellent day's work.

Does that include the guard on my XC train earlier in the week who hid
in the rear cab for 2.5hrs?
Old May 15th 15, 03:07 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 15 May 2015 15:55:58 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 14:56:14 on
Fri, 15 May 2015, e27002 aurora remarked:
Sadly, even as we chew the fat, road haulage companies will be circling
railfreight customers with 12 month contracts as the price for helping out
during a 24 hour strike.

I do not like it one bit. Things should never have reached this
point. But, railwaymen are entitled to expect at least a fair day's
pay for an excellent day's work.

Does that include the guard on my XC train earlier in the week who hid
in the rear cab for 2.5hrs?

Dunno, but it certainly applies to the SWT trains staff I encounter
most days of the week, professional, polite and helpful beyond the
call. Even to the point of 'phoning the end of the line 'cos my other
half had left her bag on a train.

Perhaps XC need to do some firing and hiring, or at least threaten.
Old May 15th 15, 05:49 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 15/05/15 15:55, Roland Perry wrote:
Does that include the guard on my XC train earlier in the week who hid
in the rear cab for 2.5hrs?

Had you booked seats with a credit/debit card in your name?

Ian
Old May 15th 15, 07:17 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:49:58 on Fri, 15 May
2015, The Real Doctor remarked:

Does that include the guard on my XC train earlier in the week who hid
in the rear cab for 2.5hrs?

Had you booked seats with a credit/debit card in your name?

I'd booked travel, but not necessarily on that train.

Old May 15th 15, 08:52 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 15/05/15 20:17, Roland Perry wrote:
I'd booked travel, but not necessarily on that train.

Hmm. So he didn't know you would be there, eh? Perhaps he saw you get on.

Ian
Old May 16th 15, 07:40 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:52:22 on Fri, 15 May
2015, The Real Doctor remarked:

I'd booked travel, but not necessarily on that train.

Hmm. So he didn't know you would be there, eh? Perhaps he saw you get on.

I got on at New St with at least a hundred other people. No-one's
tickets were checked all the way to Cambridgeshire.