Old May 23rd 15, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New 'London Connections' map with added LO and new family member,

On 2015\05\23 15:39, Mizter T wrote:

On 22/05/2015 19:37, Peter Smyth wrote:

Basil Jet wrote:

I just looked at the timetable for the Cheshunt/Chingford lines,

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms...e-may-2015.pdf

and during the repeating sections (all day Saturday and Sunday and
bits on weekdays), there are 8 tph between Liverpool Street and
Hackney Downs, with alternating 1 minute and 14 minute gaps in either
direction at Hackney Downs!

The problem is if you spread out the slow trains more evenly, they will
get in the way of the fast trains to Stansted/Cambridge. Short of
building extra tracks between Liverpool Street and Bethnal Green, I
don't think there is any easy answer to this problem.

Agreed.

I don't agree. The fast trains have their own tracks from Hackney Downs
to Bethnal Green. From BG to Liverpool Street they can either use the
fast Shenfield tracks or interleave with the slow Hackneys, but either
way I don't see there being no room for a slow Hackney every 7.5
minutes. Neither the fast line to Shenfield nor Hackney is that heavily
used, is it?

Old May 24th 15, 09:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I find it odd that the new Tube map doesn't show Tramlink. I know it's
not part of the Tube, but they show DLR, TfL Rail and all of the bits of
the Overground including six stations in Hertfordshire and an entire
shuttle which never strays far from the M25. They even show the bloody
emirates airline, which is fun but frankly barely qualifies as transport
at all. I see no difference between DLR and Tramlink significant enough
to warrant only one being on the Tube Map.

While I'm here, Croydon Tramlink arose from a study called, IIRC, "New
transport ideas for London" or some similar title, which contained many
other proposed tram lines in other parts of London. Obviously none of
the others have emerged. Does this mean that Tramlink is officially
considered to have been a failure? Or are other parts of London on a
nationwide queue of schemes, and as soon as Metrolink's latest branch is
opened will we get a Harrow Tramlink? Now that I've asked the question,
I suspect Crossrail has swallowed up the Home Counties' allocation of
government spending until about 2050.
Old May 24th 15, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

Tramlink works because most of it runs on old railway formations, or at
least segregated tracks. I think the other London tram proposals have
included mostly on-street running, or taking over existing roads. That
leads to huge opposition from local residents and businesses, and the
on-street trams are hardly faster than buses.

Old May 24th 15, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015\05\24 11:25, Paul Corfield wrote:

The other
"Transit" schemes were downgraded from tram or trolleybus operation to
bus schemes and even there only a half arsed scheme at Barking Reach
has been built with some fancy paving and branded bus shelters. It's
still just a double deck operated bus service.

This is the only infrastructure I've found...

I don't think half-arsed sums that up. It's definitely total-arsed.

Is the problem with trams that the tracks are bad for cyclists? I can't
see why trams need grooves or flanges in this day and age. A pair of
flat metal rails set in the tarmac with sensors which steer the wheels
onto the rails would reduce squealing, be safer for cyclists and would
allow points to have no moving parts. They would also be impossible to
derail.
Old May 24th 15, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Sun, 24 May 2015 11:56:50 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2015\05\24 11:25, Paul Corfield wrote:

The other
"Transit" schemes were downgraded from tram or trolleybus operation to
bus schemes and even there only a half arsed scheme at Barking Reach
has been built with some fancy paving and branded bus shelters. It's
still just a double deck operated bus service.

This is the only infrastructure I've found...

I don't think half-arsed sums that up. It's definitely total-arsed.

Is the problem with trams that the tracks are bad for cyclists? I can't
see why trams need grooves or flanges in this day and age. A pair of
flat metal rails set in the tarmac with sensors which steer the wheels
onto the rails would reduce squealing, be safer for cyclists and would
allow points to have no moving parts. They would also be impossible to
derail.

Given that the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and Switzerland are
perfectly capable of having cycle, tram and trolleybus infrastructure
working alongside each other with little difficulty I don't think
that's an issue. Of course the UK has little experience of such
infrastructure and parallel modal working that we will imagine all
sorts of risk, crises, accidents etc which is really a load of old
********. We decided that we didn't want to do that "continental
rubbish" after the 1950s and 60s so we've wasted nigh on half a
century wedding ourselves to the car when we could have achieved a
better mix of modes.

A further UK-only hazard is the 1870 Tramways Act which still makes tramway
operators responsible for maintaining the highway around the tracks at their
expense, in effect subsidising their opposition.

London is now struggling to install cycle infrastructure that is
adequate and appropriate because we don't have the relevant expertise
and the plans have been criticised by everyone - cycle lobbyists,
business, taxi drivers etc. What is being built now will inevitably
be a compromise and unlikely to satisfy anyone.

Of course the Embankment cycleway could have been a tramway reserved track
as well.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old May 24th 15, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:33:37
on Sun, 24 May 2015, remarked:
Stratford to Bishops Stortford serves six stations in Greater London,
and five beyond.

Via the Lea Valley route which we have already identified as the only
remaining AGA route in Greater London. Do keep up!

Although that was probably in the context of Liverpool St services.