Old July 16th 15, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Electric buses

Anyone know how that trial with the single deck electric battery buses around
Victoria is going?

--
Spud

Old July 16th 15, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-07-16 19:09:00 +0000, Paul Corfield said:

The virtual electric double deck trial, using induction charging,
should start on route 69 in October. The charging kit has definitely
been installed at Walthamstow, not sure about Canning Town as I
haven't been down there for a while.

Is that the same kit used in MK? It's the first other example I've
seen of it. Personally I think it's a gimmick and a plug-in cable
would do the job just as well, particularly in London where the driver
doesn't carry cash so will not have that risk if he gets out of the cab
to plug in.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old July 16th 15, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-07-16 19:09:00 +0000, Paul Corfield said:

The virtual electric double deck trial, using induction charging,
should start on route 69 in October. The charging kit has definitely
been installed at Walthamstow, not sure about Canning Town as I
haven't been down there for a while.

Is that the same kit used in MK? It's the first other example I've seen
of it. Personally I think it's a gimmick and a plug-in cable would do
the job just as well, particularly in London where the driver doesn't
carry cash so will not have that risk if he gets out of the cab to plug in.

Why have the hassle of plugging in a heavy, probably high voltage, high
current cable when the bus can be charged effortlessly and safely using
inductive charging? There's no cable or plug/socket to get damaged.

My phone and toothbrush have it, so why not the bus?
Old July 16th 15, 08:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-septem
ber.org, at 20:05:32 on Thu, 16 Jul 2015, Recliner
remarked:
The virtual electric double deck trial, using induction charging,
should start on route 69 in October. The charging kit has definitely
been installed at Walthamstow, not sure about Canning Town as I
haven't been down there for a while.

Is that the same kit used in MK? It's the first other example I've seen
of it. Personally I think it's a gimmick and a plug-in cable would do
the job just as well, particularly in London where the driver doesn't
carry cash so will not have that risk if he gets out of the cab to plug in.

Why have the hassle of plugging in a heavy, probably high voltage, high
current cable

In the pouring rain

when the bus can be charged effortlessly and safely using
inductive charging? There's no cable or plug/socket to get damaged.

My phone and toothbrush have it, so why not the bus?

But a slight difference in the amount of power being transferred I
think. Not just literally between a toothbrush and a bus, but the degree
to which one can scale the engineering.

Old July 16th 15, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 20:48:41 +0100, Neil Williams

On 2015-07-16 19:09:00 +0000, Paul Corfield said:

The virtual electric double deck trial, using induction charging,
should start on route 69 in October. The charging kit has definitely
been installed at Walthamstow, not sure about Canning Town as I
haven't been down there for a while.

Is that the same kit used in MK? It's the first other example I've
seen of it. Personally I think it's a gimmick and a plug-in cable
would do the job just as well, particularly in London where the driver
doesn't carry cash so will not have that risk if he gets out of the cab
to plug in.

I've not seen the MK installation for myself - only a TV feature.
There is certainly a metal plate recessed in the tarmac at WWBS. I
haven't seen it being tested although an Alexander Dennis test bed
single decker has apparently visited it. I assume the process will be
similar to what happens in MK.

I suspect that at some point there will have to be a London trial
which involves a pantograph based charging facility or facilities.
Several manufacturers offer that option so it would make sense to test
it even though there will be issues as to where you can install such
kit.

Is that a single wire tram-style pan, or two wires, trolley-bus style? If
one wire, how is the bus earthed while being charged?
Old July 16th 15, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

"HaloIPT supplied its revolutionary induction charging technology for
102EX, the Rolls Royce Phantom Experimental Electric vehicle, revealed on 2
March at the Geneva Motor Show."

From http://www.arup.com/Homepage_ElectricTransport.aspx
Old July 16th 15, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-septemb
er.org, at 20:22:44 on Thu, 16 Jul 2015, Recliner
remarked:
when the bus can be charged effortlessly and safely using
inductive charging? There's no cable or plug/socket to get damaged.

My phone and toothbrush have it, so why not the bus?

But a slight difference in the amount of power being transferred I think.
Not just literally between a toothbrush and a bus, but the degree to
which one can scale the engineering.

"HaloIPT supplied its revolutionary induction charging technology for
102EX, the Rolls Royce Phantom Experimental Electric vehicle, revealed on 2
March at the Geneva Motor Show."

From http://www.arup.com/Homepage_ElectricTransport.aspx

"Two of these small Citroen C1 electric vehicles are currently
participating in the Arup-led CABLED electric vehicle evaluation
programme in the West Midlands."
Old July 16th 15, 08:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

From http://www.arup.com/Homepage_ElectricTransport.aspx

"Two of these small Citroen C1 electric vehicles are currently
participating in the Arup-led CABLED electric vehicle evaluation
programme in the West Midlands."

Yup, what of it?
CABLED (Coventry and Birmingham Low Emission Demonstrators) Consortium
Old July 16th 15, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-07-16 20:05:32 +0000, Recliner said:

Why have the hassle of plugging in a heavy, probably high voltage, high
current cable when the bus can be charged effortlessly and safely using
inductive charging?

Because it requires some pretty weighty and easily damaged equipment
under the bus and far more expensive equipment in the road.

Neil
--
Neil Williams