Old February 16th 04, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default BUSES- Pay Before You Board

This is without doubt a stupid idea.
Twice on different buses someone got on the bus and tried to pay a
fare. Spent a couple minuites arguing with the driver. Then got off.
The bus waited for them to buy a ticket. The first time the bus driver
had to shout instructions to the person.
Buying tickets before you board a bus is a great idea. However not
allowing the bus driver to sell tickets is stupid.
Surely the bus drivers can be allowed to sell tickets? As well as
pre-pay?

Old February 17th 04, 06:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North" wrote in
message om...
This is without doubt a stupid idea.
Twice on different buses someone got on the bus and tried to pay a
fare. Spent a couple minuites arguing with the driver. Then got off.
The bus waited for them to buy a ticket. The first time the bus driver
had to shout instructions to the person.
Buying tickets before you board a bus is a great idea. However not
allowing the bus driver to sell tickets is stupid.
Surely the bus drivers can be allowed to sell tickets? As well as
pre-pay?

Hmmm.. sometimes I've seen drivers sell tickets to people. But most of the
time people board trying to buy a ticket, the bus driver drives off when
they go to the machine to buy a ticket!

Old February 18th 04, 07:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Gaz Gaz is offline

Its not a bad idea as long as the ticket machines work and twice now I've
been unable to get a ticket from a machine because it either wasn't

working
or had been vandalised. Both times I had to argue with the driver and
eventually he let me on but basically if the machine is buggered you

cannot,
according to the rules, get on a bus.

No, according to the 'rules', if the machine is broken the bus driver must
allow you to board and proceed to take you to the next working machine.
While you're buying a ticket at this new machine he must wait for you. If
however you simply forgot to buy a ticket in the cashless zone and you want
to board the bus, the driver will tell you that you need to buy a ticket
before you board and is not obliged to wait.