London Banter

-   -   Another alternative tube map (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14442-another-alternative-tube-map.html)

Basil Jet[_4_] July 24th 15 09:09 PM

Another alternative tube map

http://media.timeout.com/images/102788993/image.jpg

Curiously, he's split the Northern Line in two, as did the last
alternative tube map. Do they know something I don't?

His portrayal of the Met is just baffling. Does only Uxbridge have
Aldgate trains?

Recliner[_3_] July 24th 15 10:43 PM

Basil Jet wrote:
http://media.timeout.com/images/102788993/image.jpg

Curiously, he's split the Northern Line in two, as did the last
alternative tube map. Do they know something I don't?

It'll be necessary for the higher frequencies planned in the future.

His portrayal of the Met is just baffling. Does only Uxbridge have Aldgate trains?

No, you can now get services to any of the western branches from Aldgate.

[email protected] July 25th 15 01:11 AM

Another alternative tube map

In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

http://media.timeout.com/images/102788993/image.jpg

Curiously, he's split the Northern Line in two, as did the last
alternative tube map. Do they know something I don't?

His portrayal of the Met is just baffling. Does only Uxbridge have
Aldgate trains?

He's also split the District with Wimbleware as a separate line from the
rest.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Recliner[_3_] July 25th 15 01:18 AM

Another alternative tube map

wrote:
In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

http://media.timeout.com/images/102788993/image.jpg

Curiously, he's split the Northern Line in two, as did the last
alternative tube map. Do they know something I don't?

His portrayal of the Met is just baffling. Does only Uxbridge have
Aldgate trains?

He's also split the District with Wimbleware as a separate line from the
rest.

Which is probably OK, but not particularly useful or relevant, particularly
now that S7s serve both.

[email protected] July 25th 15 01:26 AM

Another alternative tube map

In article

rg, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
In article ,

(Basil Jet) wrote:

http://media.timeout.com/images/102788993/image.jpg

Curiously, he's split the Northern Line in two, as did the last
alternative tube map. Do they know something I don't?

His portrayal of the Met is just baffling. Does only Uxbridge have
Aldgate trains?

He's also split the District with Wimbleware as a separate line
from the rest.

Which is probably OK, but not particularly useful or relevant,
particularly now that S7s serve both.

Precisely.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Basil Jet[_4_] July 25th 15 06:10 AM

Another alternative tube map

On 2015\07\24 21:44, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 21:09:11 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

http://media.timeout.com/images/102788993/image.jpg

Curiously, he's split the Northern Line in two, as did the last
alternative tube map. Do they know something I don't?

Read the paper about extra Nthn / Jub line trains I linked to another
post. Talks about Northern Line Upgrade 2 which effectively splits the
line into two.

Oh yes. I can't help thinking that the splitting of the Northern Line
should have been your headline instead of the bit about more trains.

Do you know what they are planning at Camden? Would it be just a few
extra cross passages or would it be that horrendous
lets-demolish-everything-that-gives-Camden-character plan from a decade
back?

I'm going to repost what I said in March on the matter, although the
timescales would need to be accelerated.

'I think Camden Town should not be rebuilt. On average, people move house
every seven years and change job even more frequently, so within ten
years of the station being rebuilt and the lines being split, so many
people would have changed their job or residence to match the new line
routing that interchange at Camden would have fallen back to current
levels or lower, rendering the enhanced interchange capacity a white
elephant largely unused in the long run.

What they should do is split the lines on the tube map now, with Charing
Cross to Barnet/MHE being one solid colour with a dotted "limited
service only" branch to Edgware, and Bank to Edgware being a different
solid colour with a dotted "limited service only" branch to Barnet/MHE.
Initially the "limited service" would consist of 40% of the trains, but
every 4 years or so the proportion would be decreased to 33%, then 25%,
then 16%, then 0%. As the population gradually adjusted their place of
work and/or place of residence around the new service as shown on the
tube map, the numbers interchanging at Camden Town would never overwhelm
the station, and after 20 years or so you would have split the lines
completely without having to rebuild anything.'

Robin[_4_] July 25th 15 09:38 AM

Basil Jet wrote:
http://media.timeout.com/images/102788993/image.jpg

Curiously, he's split the Northern Line in two, as did the last
alternative tube map. Do they know something I don't?

His portrayal of the Met is just baffling. Does only Uxbridge have
Aldgate trains?

I like the disambiguation of the 2 Bethnal Greens but don't like the
choice of Bethnal Green Gardens for the tube. Smacks of tail wagging
dog.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Peter Smyth[_3_] July 25th 15 11:26 PM

Another alternative tube map

Recliner wrote:

wrote:
In article ,
(Basil Jet) wrote:

http://media.timeout.com/images/102788993/image.jpg

Curiously, he's split the Northern Line in two, as did the last
alternative tube map. Do they know something I don't?

His portrayal of the Met is just baffling. Does only Uxbridge have
Aldgate trains?

He's also split the District with Wimbleware as a separate line
from the rest.

Which is probably OK, but not particularly useful or relevant,
particularly now that S7s serve both.

It makes it clear there are no direct trains from Ealing / Richmond to
Edgware Road though. The Olympia branch would be better off as light
green too.

Peter Smyth

Basil Jet[_4_] July 26th 15 05:20 PM

Another alternative tube map

On 2015\07\25 11:23, Paul Corfield wrote:

wrote:

http://media.timeout.com/images/102788993/image.jpg

Curiously, he's split the Northern Line in two, as did the last
alternative tube map. Do they know something I don't?

Read the paper about extra Nthn / Jub line trains I linked to another
post. Talks about Northern Line Upgrade 2 which effectively splits the
line into two.

Oh yes. I can't help thinking that the splitting of the Northern Line
should have been your headline instead of the bit about more trains.

Do you know what they are planning at Camden? Would it be just a few
extra cross passages or would it be that horrendous
lets-demolish-everything-that-gives-Camden-character plan from a decade
back?

This is what was presented to Camden Council in Sept 2013.

http://democracy.camden.gov.uk/docum...tation%201.pdf

It coves plans for Camden and Holborn stations. As the proposals were
reasonably well received I expect TfL are developing these proposals
for actual planning consent / powers.

Thanks. Still no plan to improve interchange with Camden Road.

Roland Perry July 26th 15 06:35 PM

Another alternative tube map

In message , at 17:20:16 on Sun, 26 Jul
2015, Basil Jet remarked:
This is what was presented to Camden Council in Sept 2013.

http://democracy.camden.gov.uk/docum...tation%201.pdf

It coves plans for Camden and Holborn stations. As the proposals were
reasonably well received I expect TfL are developing these proposals
for actual planning consent / powers.

Thanks. Still no plan to improve interchange with Camden Road.

Camden Road is quite a long way from Camden tube.

Basil Jet[_4_] July 26th 15 07:24 PM

On 2015\07\26 18:35, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:20:16 on Sun, 26 Jul
2015, Basil Jet remarked:
This is what was presented to Camden Council in Sept 2013.

http://democracy.camden.gov.uk/docum...tation%201.pdf

It coves plans for Camden and Holborn stations. As the proposals were
reasonably well received I expect TfL are developing these proposals
for actual planning consent / powers.

Thanks. Still no plan to improve interchange with Camden Road.

Camden Road is quite a long way from Camden tube.

As with Hackney, the entrances are quite far, but the platform ends
aren't that far.

[email protected] July 26th 15 08:34 PM

On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 7:24:38 PM UTC+1, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\07\26 18:35, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:20:16 on Sun, 26 Jul
2015, Basil Jet remarked:
This is what was presented to Camden Council in Sept 2013.

http://democracy.camden.gov.uk/docum...tation%201.pdf

It coves plans for Camden and Holborn stations. As the proposals were
reasonably well received I expect TfL are developing these proposals
for actual planning consent / powers.

Thanks. Still no plan to improve interchange with Camden Road.

Camden Road is quite a long way from Camden tube.

As with Hackney, the entrances are quite far, but the platform ends
aren't that far.

Unlike at Hackney there is a rather large vertical distance between the Camden platforms.

And isn't having the Grand Union Canal between the Camden stations an additional complication?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry July 26th 15 09:14 PM

Another alternative tube map

In message , at
12:34:32 on Sun, 26 Jul 2015, remarked:

Still no plan to improve interchange with Camden Road.

Camden Road is quite a long way from Camden tube.

As with Hackney, the entrances are quite far, but the platform ends
aren't that far.

The north end of the platforms heading for Hampstead are even further.

Unlike at Hackney there is a rather large vertical distance between the
Camden platforms.

And isn't having the Grand Union Canal between the Camden stations an
additional complication?

Very probably; the canal is somewhat below ground level there, with the
NLL above ground level. The Northern Line is quite deep.