Old February 18th 04, 01:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus 283 and British Summer Time

Hi all,

According to http://www.londonbusroutes.net/changes.htm , Bus 283 has a
diferent timetable depending on whether BST or GMT is effective. Does anyone
know why this seems to be the only route which does this?

My first thought was that it must serve an airport, since flights to parts
of the world where summer time is not observed tend to operate at the same
GMT time all year round... but no, the 283 runs around East Acton, and
doesn't go anywhere near an airport.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 18th 04, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

According to http://www.londonbusroutes.net/changes.htm , Bus 283 has a
diferent timetable depending on whether BST or GMT is effective. Does

anyone
know why this seems to be the only route which does this?

My first thought was that it must serve an airport, since flights to parts
of the world where summer time is not observed tend to operate at the same
GMT time all year round... but no, the 283 runs around East Acton, and
doesn't go anywhere near an airport.

I see it serves the Wetland Centre which has different opening hours in
Summer and Winter and perhaps differing demands. Could it be something to
do with that?

Old February 18th 04, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes

According to http://www.londonbusroutes.net/changes.htm , Bus 283 has a
diferent timetable depending on whether BST or GMT is effective. Does anyone
know why this seems to be the only route which does this?

Because the southern end of the route serves (and terminates at) Barnes
Wetlands during the main part of the day. The Wetlands stays open for an
hour longer in the summer, so the 283 terminus doesn't revert to Barnes
Pond until an hour later once BST has started.

--
Paul Terry
Old February 18th 04, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message

The Wetlands stays open for an hour longer in the
summer, so the 283 terminus doesn't revert to Barnes
Pond until an hour later once BST has started.

Thanks. It's a little surprising that other routes which serve green places
don't do something similar

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 18th 04, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes

"Paul Terry" wrote in message

The Wetlands stays open for an hour longer in the
summer, so the 283 terminus doesn't revert to Barnes
Pond until an hour later once BST has started.

Thanks. It's a little surprising that other routes which serve green places
don't do something similar

Yes, I pondered that, but the southern part of the 283 is rather unusual
- the route from Hammersmith to Barnes is exceptionally intensive for a
basically suburban service.

In the morning peak there are 36 buses per hour on the same route, all
going to Hammersmith tube - more than one a minute, to the joy of us who
live in the area, and rather better than the most frequent tube
services. In addition there is an alternative route (419) between
Hammersmith and Barnes served by four buses an hour.

The combined off-peak frequency is something like one bus every two
minutes - and even in the depth of the night there are three night bus
routes providing services to the area every 10 to 15 minutes.

So I am not surprised that the 283 can be selective in its ultimate
terminus.

All of this detail has a point. The residents of Barnes are not short of
a penny or two and most, like I, can afford a pretty decent car, for
journeys out of town.

But given a seriously intensive bus service of the sort we have here,
with bus lanes to increase its efficiency at times when car drivers clog
the roads, and a continuation into all-night services that run every few
minutes, I cannot see why anyone in this part of London should prefer to
use a car for inwards travel (let alone congestion-zone and car-parking
charges).

I know some may think I am making a political point - but if relatively
wealthy car-owners like me prefer to use the bus, why cannot anyone do
so if TfL seizes the initiative and saturates an area with a bus every
40 seconds or so? I don't think that us 'wealthy' residents of SW London
should be the only ones to benefit from such frequent services - I
suspect we only now do so because we actually use them (283 included!).

Regards,
--
Paul Terry

Old February 20th 04, 07:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Just like the 267?

"John Rowland" wrote in message
Hi all,

According to http://www.londonbusroutes.net/changes.htm , Bus 283 has a
diferent timetable depending on whether BST or GMT is effective. Does

anyone
know why this seems to be the only route which does this?

My first thought was that it must serve an airport, since flights to parts
of the world where summer time is not observed tend to operate at the same
GMT time all year round... but no, the 283 runs around East Acton, and
doesn't go anywhere near an airport.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

---

SWT Summer Madness Paul Terry London Transport 1 September 13th 09 09:01 PM
Bus Heating in Summer MIG London Transport 7 August 8th 08 07:17 PM
WAGN/ONE services, summer 2005 [email protected] London Transport 3 September 6th 07 02:05 PM
route 283 colin towns London Transport 1 March 15th 07 06:32 PM
Old cars or bikes wtd for Primrose Hill Summer Festival, Saturday 25th June 2005 [email protected] London Transport 1 April 26th 05 02:53 PM