Old September 17th 15, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New Heathrow Express Advance fares

On 17.09.15 14:36, David Walters wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:01:22 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
Trains could have some system linked to checking if a seat was occupied
(although their are issues if people put bags on seats) and have
coloured lights above indicating (eg) Green for empty, Orange for
empty-but reserved, and nothing for occupied. Or maybe red for occupied
and in the foreseeable future a reservation pending.

TfL have something similar for bus top deck seat occupancy in trial:
http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/09/good-n...-seat-5141564/

Shorter seat backs though.

I've actually seen that on the 141. Takes the camera about a minute or
so, however, to revise the numbers when there is a change.

Old September 17th 15, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:53:25 on Thu, 17
Sep 2015, Neil Williams remarked:

Not all CCTV cameras record things. To suggest they do is paranoia.

They may not even be cameras, they may simply be ANPR

ANPR requires a camera.

or presence detection.

A lens with LEDs (infra red I presume) around it.
Old September 18th 15, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-09-17 14:20:52 +0000, Roland Perry said:

ANPR requires a camera.

Sorry, I meant that the only output from the camera was ANPR data, not
surveillance.

A lens with LEDs (infra red I presume) around it.

Looks like a camera, then. Though it is by no means clear what is done
with the data from the camera; possibly nothing other than checking
whether it sees a car or a piece of tarmac.

Germany, for instance, is not a CCTV loving country, and while cameras
are usually provided for DOO train dispatch they are often not used for
surveillance.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old September 18th 15, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:18:24 on Fri, 18 Sep
2015, Neil Williams remarked:
A lens with LEDs (infra red I presume) around it.

Looks like a camera, then. Though it is by no means clear what is done
with the data from the camera; possibly nothing other than checking
whether it sees a car or a piece of tarmac.

I'd regard that as highly unlikely.

Germany, for instance, is not a CCTV loving country, and while cameras
are usually provided for DOO train dispatch they are often not used for
surveillance.

Germany is a different country with a very different approach to privacy
(and also a different approach to arming their police, although I don't
claim there's any direct correlation).
Old September 18th 15, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-09-18 11:35:33 +0000, Roland Perry said:

I'd regard that as highly unlikely.

Why? In a car park with hundreds of spaces, a video feed from each
camera is a *lot* to record. I would strongly suspect they won't do
this, and there will be a completely separate, regular CCTV system for
that purpose.

Germany is a different country with a very different approach to
privacy (and also a different approach to arming their police, although
I don't claim there's any direct correlation).

This is true.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old September 18th 15, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:03:21 on Fri, 18
Sep 2015, Neil Williams remarked:

I'd regard that as highly unlikely.

Why? In a car park with hundreds of spaces, a video feed from each
camera is a *lot* to record. I would strongly suspect they won't do
this, and there will be a completely separate, regular CCTV system for
that purpose.

Hard drives are cheap, blowing up airports is expensive.
Old September 18th 15, 02:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-09-18 13:49:06 +0000, Roland Perry said:

In message , at 14:03:21 on Fri, 18
Sep 2015, Neil Williams remarked:

I'd regard that as highly unlikely.

Why? In a car park with hundreds of spaces, a video feed from each
camera is a *lot* to record. I would strongly suspect they won't do
this, and there will be a completely separate, regular CCTV system for
that purpose.

Hard drives are cheap, blowing up airports is expensive.

But an existing CCTV system with dedicated cameras designed for that
purpose is probably cheaper. I'm certain there will be one, I just
doubt it will be using the parking space cameras to achieve it.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old September 18th 15, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/09/2015 13:59, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 13:11:49 on Thu, 17
Sep 2015, Neil Williams remarked:

When I was at Heathrow T2 last week I was surprised to see that there
was a CCTV camera for *every* space in the car park. One of the side
effects (although they could do it with less intrusive technology)
was that empty spaces had a green light above them, so you could see
from afar, down each aisle, whether or not there was somewhere to park.

That's "sensor parking". The camera is probably just detecting
presence, rather than being recorded.

Yeah, right.

Recoding a video stream from hundreds of cameras situated right next to
each other seems like overkill, even for the most paranoid.

I dare say they are just sensors.
Old September 18th 15, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 15:53:57 +0100
Mizter T wrote:
On 17/09/2015 13:59, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 13:11:49 on Thu, 17
Sep 2015, Neil Williams remarked:

When I was at Heathrow T2 last week I was surprised to see that there
was a CCTV camera for *every* space in the car park. One of the side
effects (although they could do it with less intrusive technology)
was that empty spaces had a green light above them, so you could see
from afar, down each aisle, whether or not there was somewhere to park.

That's "sensor parking". The camera is probably just detecting
presence, rather than being recorded.

Yeah, right.

Recoding a video stream from hundreds of cameras situated right next to
each other seems like overkill, even for the most paranoid.

I dare say they are just sensors.

Or alternatively they take a single static picture of cars parking.

--
Spud

Old September 18th 15, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:28:45 on Fri, 18
Sep 2015, Neil Williams remarked:
In a car park with hundreds of spaces, a video feed from each camera
is a *lot* to record. I would strongly suspect they won't do this,
and there will be a completely separate, regular CCTV system for that
purpose.

Hard drives are cheap, blowing up airports is expensive.

But an existing CCTV system with dedicated cameras designed for that
purpose is probably cheaper. I'm certain there will be one, I just
doubt it will be using the parking space cameras to achieve it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "existing" CCTV given that the T2 car park
is very new.