London Banter

-   -   Goblin electrification (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14525-goblin-electrification.html)

[email protected] October 2nd 15 10:33 AM

Goblin electrification

In article

rg, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
In article

rg,
(Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
In article

-september.
org,
(Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
In article ,

(Mike Bristow) wrote:

In article

-september.
org, Recliner wrote:
[the goblin]
Are the platforms already long enough for four-car trains?

No. Most stations that used to have longer platforms have had the
length beyond two car closed. This would be easy to fix - repoint
the brickwork, repaint all the things, etc. But South Tottenham
would be more challenging - extending westwards is tricky becuase
there's a bridge over the A10 that way; extending eastwards is
tricky becuae there's a junction that way. Google maps will give
you a picture - literally.

Luckily 378s have SDO.

But it won't be using 378s, will it?

Even if it won't be, I can't believe new trains nowadays won't have
SDO. It's not as if they're going to use 315s or 317s, surely?

No, Aventras.

They'll have SDO, for sure.

Yes, but how many doors can you leave closed? One or two, for sure, but
whole carriages, on a line with packed trains?

I think we have concluded that the platforms at South Tottenham can be
extended to fully accommodate 4 car trains. With the train fully walkable
through it may also matter less that doors in a whole coach might not open.

--
Colin Rosenstiel