Old February 3rd 16, 02:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Step Free Access

I'm still confused about the apparent 2 types of step free access shown
on tube maps
One shows "Platform to street"
The other shows "Train to street"

On the assumption that passengers don't step directly onto a lift on
emerging from a train in option 2 , what exactly is the difference?
--
Bryan Morris
Public Key http://www.pgp.uk.demon.net - 0xCC6237E9

Old February 3rd 16, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016\02\03 14:38, Bryan Morris wrote:
I'm still confused about the apparent 2 types of step free access shown
on tube maps
One shows "Platform to street"
The other shows "Train to street"

On the assumption that passengers don't step directly onto a lift on
emerging from a train in option 2 , what exactly is the difference?

Train to street means level access, which you need if you are in a
self-propelled wheelchair. Platform to street means that there is a
single step from the platform to the train, which is not a show-stopper
if you have someone pushing you.
Old February 3rd 16, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Basil Jet
writes
On 2016\02\03 14:38, Bryan Morris wrote:
I'm still confused about the apparent 2 types of step free access shown
on tube maps
One shows "Platform to street"
The other shows "Train to street"

On the assumption that passengers don't step directly onto a lift on
emerging from a train in option 2 , what exactly is the difference?

Train to street means level access, which you need if you are in a
self-propelled wheelchair. Platform to street means that there is a
single step from the platform to the train, which is not a show-stopper
if you have someone pushing you.

Thanks. I tried everywhere including Tfl website to find out but there
doesn't appear to be anything published explaining this.
Old February 3rd 16, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:38:50 on Wed, 3 Feb
2016, Bryan Morris remarked:

I'm still confused about the apparent 2 types of step free access shown
on tube maps
One shows "Platform to street"
The other shows "Train to street"

On the assumption that passengers don't step directly onto a lift on
emerging from a train in option 2 , what exactly is the difference?

The difference is that in the former there isn't step-free access from
the train to the platform. Even if there is from the platform to the
street.

Step-free access isn't just about people in wheelchairs, but includes
those with luggage/prams/etc which they can cope with getting on and off
the one small step[tm] from a train, but not from the platform to the
outside.
Old February 3rd 16, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It's about those built - up platforms. You see them at Northern Line stations. The platform has been built up at a certain part so that it is level with the doors. A wheelchair has little problem traversing the gap from train to platform or vice versa.

The new District Line trains are normally adjacent to the platform.

Old February 3rd 16, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bryan Morris wrote:
Thanks. I tried everywhere including Tfl website to find out but there
doesn't appear to be anything published explaining this.

I agree it's all a bit buried but for the record
https://tfl.gov.uk/transport-accessi...voiding-stairs
has:

"Step-free access means lifts, ramps and level surfaces so you don't
have to use stairs or escalators, and can avoid the step and gap onto
our trains, buses and boats."
and later continues
"Some step-free stations still have a gap and step between the platform
and the train. The Tube map shows which Underground, Overground and DLR
stations are step-free. The blue symbol shows step-free access from
street to train and the white symbol shows step-free access from street
to platform. "

There's also the step-free tube guide
https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/do...-guide-map.pdf
which gives a guide to the *sizes* of the steps and of the gaps between
platform and train - helpful for those to whom a gap 7 inches feels
like "one giant leap".
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old February 3rd 16, 06:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Robin writes
The Tube map shows which Underground, Overground and DLR
stations are step-free. The blue symbol shows step-free access from
street to train and the white symbol shows step-free access from street
to platform. "

Thanks and I _now_ understand BUT this from the site repeats what had
confused me i.e. doesn't really explain "street to train" & "street to
platform"