Old March 26th 16, 07:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default No walking on Holborn's escalators - trial

Chris J Dixon wrote:
tim... wrote:

They're not saying that it is quicker for you

they are saying that it clears the complete queue quicker

And if you think about it, you can see that logic

How did it come about that we drive, and in tube passageways are
generally are requested to walk on the left, yet on escalators
you are expected to keep right?

I'm currently in Tokyo, and was intrigued that the convention here is that
you stand on the left on escalators, and walk on the right, the opposite to
the UK. However, this is apparently not universal in Japan, with some
cities sharing the UK convention.

I was shocked to see that standards are falling he I spotted a train
driver not wearing his white gloves! But at least they do still keep the
cab blinds open when not passing through tunnels, so you get an excellent
forward view through the whole back wall of the cab.

Old March 26th 16, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-03-26 08:59:28 +0000, Recliner said:

Chris J Dixon wrote:
tim... wrote:

They're not saying that it is quicker for you

they are saying that it clears the complete queue quicker

And if you think about it, you can see that logic

How did it come about that we drive, and in tube passageways are
generally are requested to walk on the left, yet on escalators
you are expected to keep right?

I'm currently in Tokyo, and was intrigued that the convention here is that
you stand on the left on escalators, and walk on the right, the opposite to
the UK. However, this is apparently not universal in Japan, with some
cities sharing the UK convention.

I was shocked to see that standards are falling he I spotted a train
driver not wearing his white gloves! But at least they do still keep the
cab blinds open when not passing through tunnels, so you get an excellent
forward view through the whole back wall of the cab.

I'll ask my son's Japanese girlfriend from Tokyo about this. We met for
the first time yesterday as they have come to stay. We are fluent, but
sadly not in the same language.

Old March 26th 16, 03:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 26.03.16 8:59, Recliner wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:
tim... wrote:

They're not saying that it is quicker for you

they are saying that it clears the complete queue quicker

And if you think about it, you can see that logic

How did it come about that we drive, and in tube passageways are
generally are requested to walk on the left, yet on escalators
you are expected to keep right?

I'm currently in Tokyo, and was intrigued that the convention here is that
you stand on the left on escalators, and walk on the right, the opposite to
the UK. However, this is apparently not universal in Japan, with some
cities sharing the UK convention.

I was shocked to see that standards are falling he I spotted a train
driver not wearing his white gloves! But at least they do still keep the
cab blinds open when not passing through tunnels, so you get an excellent
forward view through the whole back wall of the cab.

Where else are you going, Recliner? Are you going to see any of the
Interurbans?

Old March 29th 16, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Chris J Dixon wrote:
tim... wrote:

[...]

Not sure what those are? Trams?

So far, in my first four days here, I've been on three different types of
Shinkansen, numerous current narrow gauge EMUs (including upstairs on a
double-deck narrow gauge), a vintage EMU and railcar, two steam trains,
Japan's only functioning rack and pinion railway (originally built as 760mm
gauge line, now 42" gauge), a Tokyo tram, and even a mini monorail that
looks like a funicular. I was surprised that many of the EMUs have all
longitudinal seating, like a 378.
Old March 29th 16, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 11:00:35 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
So far, in my first four days here, I've been on three different types of
Shinkansen, numerous current narrow gauge EMUs (including upstairs on a
double-deck narrow gauge), a vintage EMU and railcar, two steam trains,
Japan's only functioning rack and pinion railway (originally built as 760mm
gauge line, now 42" gauge), a Tokyo tram, and even a mini monorail that
looks like a funicular. I was surprised that many of the EMUs have all
longitudinal seating, like a 378.

Will you be posting some pics?

--
Spud