Old April 4th 16, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Refurbishment (well, creation) of Acton Main Line station

In message , at 13:58:50 on Mon, 4 Apr 2016,
Basil Jet remarked:

Speaking of renaming, I've disliked the name of Liverpool Street for a
long time, mostly because quite a few stations have direct trains to
London Liverpool Street and Liverpool Lime Street, although
fortunately Stansted is apparently no longer among them. (Ross
Ancromarty used to say that every time he operated a train out of
Stansted he would give one last warning that the train was going to
Liverpool rather than London, and some people would always get off.)

iirc the felony was compounded by a few of them leaving (possibly
Cambridge) at the same time.

The only other stations with direct trains to both, are Ely and Audley
End. For a couple of years also Peterborough (via Ely and Ipswich).

However, Ely only has four a day to Liverpool St, all in the morning
rush hour.

Norwich has trains to both.

Yes, it does! A little voice in my head kept saying "Norwich" to me, but
sadly I ignored it.

Old April 4th 16, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/04/2016 11:34, Basil Jet wrote:
[...]
Speaking of renaming, I've disliked the name of Liverpool Street for a
long time, mostly because quite a few stations have direct trains to
London Liverpool Street and Liverpool Lime Street, although fortunately
Stansted is apparently no longer among them. (Ross Ancromarty used to
say that every time he operated a train out of Stansted he would give
one last warning that the train was going to Liverpool rather than
London, and some people would always get off.) It occurred to me that
Broadgate is not a bad name for the main station, and then the Crossrail
station could be called Broadgate Moorgate.

There's no historical basis for the name Broadgate, it was just dreamed
up by the developers. Bishopsgate would be the obvious candidate. Or how
about Norton Folgate? (Or Essexgate?)
Old April 4th 16, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016\04\04 14:50, Mizter T wrote:

On 04/04/2016 11:34, Basil Jet wrote:
[...]
Speaking of renaming, I've disliked the name of Liverpool Street for a
long time, mostly because quite a few stations have direct trains to
London Liverpool Street and Liverpool Lime Street, although fortunately
Stansted is apparently no longer among them. (Ross Ancromarty used to
say that every time he operated a train out of Stansted he would give
one last warning that the train was going to Liverpool rather than
London, and some people would always get off.) It occurred to me that
Broadgate is not a bad name for the main station, and then the Crossrail
station could be called Broadgate Moorgate.

There's no historical basis for the name Broadgate, it was just dreamed
up by the developers. Bishopsgate would be the obvious candidate.

Yes, but there are trains to Bishops Stortford on the same line.

Or how
about Norton Folgate? (Or Essexgate?)

It's a bit like the nerve centre for Eastern England.
How about Anglia Ganglia?
Old April 4th 16, 03:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/04/2016 16:12, wrote:

In article ,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On 04/04/2016 11:34, Basil Jet wrote:
[...]
Speaking of renaming, I've disliked the name of Liverpool Street for a
long time, mostly because quite a few stations have direct trains to
London Liverpool Street and Liverpool Lime Street, although fortunately
Stansted is apparently no longer among them. (Ross Ancromarty used to
say that every time he operated a train out of Stansted he would give
one last warning that the train was going to Liverpool rather than
London, and some people would always get off.) It occurred to me that
Broadgate is not a bad name for the main station, and then the Crossrail
station could be called Broadgate Moorgate.

There's no historical basis for the name Broadgate, it was just
dreamed up by the developers. Bishopsgate would be the obvious
candidate. Or how about Norton Folgate? (Or Essexgate?)

Wasn't Bishopsgate the name of the original Eastern Counties Railway
terminus? I have a feeling it became Bishopsgate Goods which was roughly
where Shoreditch High Street (Overground) is now.

Yes. I don't think it would confuse anyone alive today in terms of the
current (Liverpool St) station and that old one, though as Monsieur Jet
points out there is the potential Bishops Stortford confusion.

Old April 4th 16, 08:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

On 04/04/2016 16:12,
wrote:

In article ,
(Mizter
T) wrote:

[...]

I'm afraid I think any change from "Liverpool Street" would confuse far more
people than any confused between "Liverpool Street" and "Liverpool Lime
Street".

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 6th 16, 12:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote

I'm afraid I think any change from "Liverpool Street" would confuse far
more

people than any confused between "Liverpool Street" and "Liverpool Lime
Street".

Couldn't we rename it "Broad Street"?

Or 'Artillery Street' ?

--
Mike D

Old April 7th 16, 03:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/04/2016 11:34, Basil Jet wrote:

Speaking of renaming, I've disliked the name of Liverpool Street for a
long time, mostly because quite a few stations have direct trains to
London Liverpool Street and Liverpool Lime Street, although fortunately
Stansted is apparently no longer among them. (Ross Ancromarty used to
say that every time he operated a train out of Stansted he would give
one last warning that the train was going to Liverpool rather than
London, and some people would always get off.) It occurred to me that
Broadgate is not a bad name for the main station, and then the Crossrail
station could be called Broadgate Moorgate.

Given that the main entrance to the station fronts onto Liverpool
Street, and always has done, it's a perfectly sensible name for the
eponymous station!

Cheers,

Barry

--
Barry Salter, usenet (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk

Disclaimer: The above do not necessarily represent the views of my
employer.
Old April 8th 16, 12:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It was a dark and stormy night when Barry Salter
wrote in article ne5u0i$1ug$1@dont-
email.me...
On 04/04/2016 11:34, Basil Jet wrote:

Speaking of renaming, I've disliked the name of Liverpool Street for a
long time, mostly because quite a few stations have direct trains to
London Liverpool Street and Liverpool Lime Street, although fortunately
Stansted is apparently no longer among them. (Ross Ancromarty used to
say that every time he operated a train out of Stansted he would give
one last warning that the train was going to Liverpool rather than
London, and some people would always get off.) It occurred to me that
Broadgate is not a bad name for the main station, and then the Crossrail
station could be called Broadgate Moorgate.

Given that the main entrance to the station fronts onto Liverpool
Street, and always has done, it's a perfectly sensible name for the
eponymous station!

Cheers,

They could always change the street name...

G.
--
Grebbsy McLaren

Old April 8th 16, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016\04\08 13:16, Grebbsy McLaren wrote:
[...]

Maybe they could change it to Liverpool Lime Street?