Old March 29th 16, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Refurbishment (well, creation) of Acton Main Line station

I say "creation" because the station is little more than a staircase
down to a platform at the moment.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/...steel-11073995

Old March 29th 16, 04:57 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil Jet[_4_] View Post
I say "creation" because the station is little more than a staircase
down to a platform at the moment.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/...steel-11073995
I've never used Acton Main Line Station although I've passed through
it on numerous occasions. Apart from the Crossrail impetus, was the
station anyway in need of improvement?
Old March 31st 16, 10:19 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Corfield[_2_] View Post
On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 17:57:08 +0200, Robin9
wrote:

;154837']I say "creation" because the station is little more than a

http://tinyurl.com/zu59gr4

I've never used Acton Main Line Station although I've passed through
it on numerous occasions. Apart from the Crossrail impetus, was the
station anyway in need of improvement?

I'd say yes - it is typical of a dire inner London suburban station
that suffered the worst ravages of BR cost cutting but has seen little
money spent on it since.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/ht..._AML/plan.html allows you to
look round the station - place your cursor over an area and a photo
pops up. It's hardly an inviting station - imagine using it on a
freezing cold, wet Winter's evening. Ugh.

--
Paul C
Thank you for that link. Yes, it's not the most inviting station

I'd forgotten it was in Horn Lane. Without intending to, I have
always bypassed it when driving because I normally use Twyford
Avenue and Noel Road.
Old March 31st 16, 05:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

'Basil Jet[_4_ Wrote:
I say "creation" because the station is little more than a staircase
down to a platform at the moment.

http://tinyurl.com/zu59gr4

I've never used Acton Main Line Station although I've passed through
it on numerous occasions. Apart from the Crossrail impetus, was the
station anyway in need of improvement?

I'd say yes - it is typical of a dire inner London suburban station
that suffered the worst ravages of BR cost cutting but has seen little
money spent on it since.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/ht..._AML/plan.html allows you to
look round the station - place your cursor over an area and a photo
pops up. It's hardly an inviting station - imagine using it on a
freezing cold, wet Winter's evening. Ugh.

The one time I used it, back in the 1970s, it had a train or two in the
peaks only. Then it really was uncared for. When did the regular service
start? With Heathrow Connect?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 4th 16, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Are they going to rename it Acton Elizabeth Line?

Old April 4th 16, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:34:04 on Mon, 4 Apr 2016,
Basil Jet remarked:

Speaking of renaming, I've disliked the name of Liverpool Street for a
long time, mostly because quite a few stations have direct trains to
London Liverpool Street and Liverpool Lime Street, although fortunately
Stansted is apparently no longer among them. (Ross Ancromarty used to
say that every time he operated a train out of Stansted he would give
one last warning that the train was going to Liverpool rather than
London, and some people would always get off.)

iirc the felony was compounded by a few of them leaving (possibly
Cambridge) at the same time.

The only other stations with direct trains to both, are Ely and Audley
End. For a couple of years also Peterborough (via Ely and Ipswich).

However, Ely only has four a day to Liverpool St, all in the morning
rush hour.
Old April 4th 16, 01:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016\04\04 12:25, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Norwich has trains to both.