Old June 29th 16, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Four-rail tracks?

I took a ride on the Greenford-Paddington shuttle yesterday, in the
light of its imminent truncation to West Ealing, and noticed some
newish four-rail track between Drayton Green and West Ealing
junctions. All four rails were firmly clipped to the concrete
sleepers. I've not noticed it before -- does anyone know why it's
used?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...7667614586524/

More pictures in
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57667614586524

Old June 29th 16, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Recliner" wrote in message
news
I took a ride on the Greenford-Paddington shuttle yesterday, in the
light of its imminent truncation to West Ealing, and noticed some
newish four-rail track between Drayton Green and West Ealing
junctions. All four rails were firmly clipped to the concrete
sleepers. I've not noticed it before -- does anyone know why it's
used?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...7667614586524/

More pictures in
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57667614586524

You tend to see track like that on high viaducts, or anywhere else that a
derailed train would have an uncomfortable landing if it left the railway
altogether.

e.g. around 29:06 on this video dating from 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl9wBpvu86U

You can see the same location, side by side in 1953 and 1983 at around 2:42
he
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Ll96VNuSc

--
DAS

Old June 29th 16, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 13:42:32 +0100, "D A Stocks"
wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
news
[...]

I've seen that before but does it really work? Has there ever been a
derailment on such stretch of track?
Old June 29th 16, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 13:42:32 +0100, "D A Stocks"
wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
news
[...]

Here is a case where a freight train pretty much demolished the viaduct it
was travelling on. No guard rails - there are many miles of track on similar
viaducts in urban areas:
http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/doc...Bexley1997.pdf

--
DAS

Old June 30th 16, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
You tend to see track like that on high viaducts, or anywhere else that a
derailed train would have an uncomfortable landing if it left the railway
altogether.

e.g. around 29:06 on this video dating from 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl9wBpvu86U

You can see the same location, side by side in 1953 and 1983 at around 2:42
he
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Ll96VNuSc

I've seen that before but does it really work? Has there ever been a
derailment on such stretch of track?

I suppose in times of austerity it could be useful if they decided to run some
narrow gauge stock on that line too

--
Spud

Old June 30th 16, 09:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

D A Stocks wrote:
wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 13:42:32 +0100, "D A Stocks"
wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
news I took a ride on the Greenford-Paddington shuttle yesterday, in the
[...]

But this section of track in West Ealing is on the flat. No viaducts, no
cuttings, no masonry bridges, nothing valuable close to the tracks (just
open car parking). It's a low speed track (~25mph), on a gentle curve. I
don't think it gets much freight traffic, and the passenger service trains
are just two-car DMUs (the occasional HST may use it on diversion or for
turning).

Old July 5th 16, 06:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

These are definitely there for derailment containment.
There may be an overline structure which has a column and its base within the high impact zone in the case of a derailment. These guard rails would provide mitigation to keep any derailed train/vehicle away from that structure.
OC