Old February 29th 04, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Massive Oxford Street Traffic Jam Saturday 28 Feb ?

Does anyone know the cause of a massive traffic jam in Oxford Street
(Eastbound) on Saturday? I saw it from Oxford Circus right back to Marble
Arch (which was starting to snarl up) and the Edgware Road Southbound looked
awful too. I was on a Westbound number 6 around 4 pm which was just getting
through as most junctions had been left clear. Many Eastbound RM drivers
were out of their cabs - they had clearly been there a long time. All I saw
near Oxford Circus was a taxi and a number 94 bus (Eastbound) that had
clearly had a little unplanned rendezvous - it looked like the taxi had been
starting to do a 180 degree turn. All drivers involved and possibly an
official were in heated debate - but the cab had been left blocking the
Eastbound lane of Oxford Street. Why wasn't the cab moving over - so at
least the traffic could start moving while they exchanged details? Was this
minor incident the cause of a traffic jam that was clearly going to take Bus
Schedulers hours to recover from and would also inconvenience thousands of
passengers trying to get home from the West End on a busy Saturday? Or was
is something else and the accident just a coincidence? Apart from one person
who may have been a TfL official (?) I saw no police anywhere or anyone else
trying to unravel the mess. So what's the point of all these cameras and
surveillance if no one reacts promptly to these situations?
Jonathan

Old February 29th 04, 04:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

ubject: Massive Oxford Street Traffic Jam Saturday 28 Feb ?

A March.