Old August 5th 16, 12:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Bob Bob is offline

Default Keygo to expand

wrote:
In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 11:56:38 on Wed, 3 Aug
2016, tim... remarked:

"In the autumn, keyGo will extend to stations in London and all of
its Great Northern and Thameslink routes - providing coverage from
Brighton to Huntingdon."

A nice bit of doublespeak there - last time I looked the GN route
went all the way to Peterborough. So when they say "all GN and
Thameslink routes" they mean "... but only at stations we can be
arsed to equip, thus breaking one of our franchise commitments".

surely the problem with Peterborough is having to avoid the problem of
people using Main line trains and then toughing out as if they have
used a stopping train (which I believe attracts a lower fare)

No, it's because Peterborough is an East Coast managed station and
GTR haven't sorted out integrating their readers with the gateline.

Same problem as Cambridge where the majority of 10m annual passengers use
GTR trains but AGA run the station and only handle their own smartcard and
m-ticket technologies.

And there was me thinking that ticketing was one bit that wasn't meant to be
so fragmented after privatisation.

I thought the whole idea behind ITSO cards and technology was to avoid
precisely this issue. Where did it all go wrong?

Robin

Old August 5th 16, 06:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 23:51:45 on Thu, 4 Aug 2016,
bob remarked:
[...]

Two problems, quite different.

The one about stations: having gated them you have to attach ITSO pads
to them. That took TfL long enough just to allow ITSO season ticket
holders passage. Unless I've missed it I don't think TfL and their
national rail partners have got their head around ITSO pay as you go yet
on routes with ticket interavailability.

Secondly, interoperability: this is much more fundamental to the ITSO
concept. In theory I should be able to load a Scotrail ITSO ticket onto
a whatever Southern's "the Key" is called this week, but there isn't
even interoperability amongst (eg) ITSO cards in different bits of the
Stagecoach empire, let alone on trips using more than one franchise's
trains.
Old August 5th 16, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

ITSO PAYG (TYP 2) is not part of the ITSO on Prestige rollout, so wouldn't be recognised by Oyster readers were any scheme to actually exist.

Southern's account based PAYG scheme (TYP 22 PTYP 4) is part of IoP.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...20analysis.pdf
Old August 5th 16, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

[...]

And one TOC's cards can't use another TOC's systems, or so it seems at
Cambridge. That is one place where it should be possible to use GTR's card
but one can't. Only AGA's technology (Smartcards & m-tickets) can be used on
the Cambridge gateline.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 5th 16, 06:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 05/08/2016 00:51, bob wrote:
wrote:

And there was me thinking that ticketing was one bit that wasn't meant to be
so fragmented after privatisation.

I thought the whole idea behind ITSO cards and technology was to avoid
precisely this issue. Where did it all go wrong?

A while ago I met some techies from a TOC and TfL, who told me there is
a big problem with the conflict between a political desire to let 'the
market' come up with something instead of being told what to do by the
government, and the practical need to have someone in charge who can
decide on a standard which everyone can then actually get on and use.

Everyone knows it is daft for every company to deploy its own system,
but co-ordination needs someone in charge to decide what to use. The
techies claimed that every time there was almost an agreement, Claire
Perry would run away and say it had to be left to the market rather than
DfT.

Plus, TOCs want to hold on to their passenger data, not share it with
rivals who might bid for the next franchise.

And there is the issue of goat-herding orphans, which acts as a brake on
technology. Even deciding they can just walk instead takes ages.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old August 6th 16, 10:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
On 05/08/2016 00:51, bob wrote:
wrote:

[...]

The smart-metering initiative seems to have suffered from the same problem.

Governments and IT, not a good mix!

Plus, TOCs want to hold on to their passenger data, not share it with
rivals who might bid for the next franchise.

And there is the issue of goat-herding orphans, which acts as a brake on
technology. Even deciding they can just walk instead takes ages.

There is always going to have to be a system of purchasing tickets by walk
ups - even if the actual "ticket" is dispensed on a one time use smart
card..

A registered-card only system is going to disenfranchise too large a set of
people (even if they do try to do this on London buses)

tim