Old August 7th 16, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Keygo to expand

In message , at 13:12:49 on Sun, 7 Aug 2016,
tim... remarked:
A registered-card only system is going to disenfranchise too large a
set of people (even if they do try to do this on London buses)

Contactless largely undid that.

Not for under 18s and foreigners, it didn't. Especially in groups
when only one between four has a card (which can only be used for one)

And they are the set most likely to be disenfranchised by a
registration system

That was why I said "largely" of course. Registration is not necessary to
use contactless which is why it is available to many if not most
foreigners.

Many foreign countries don't have a credit card culture, at least not
on a one per family member basis

not all foreign banks offer contactless

That's just something that travellers have to cope with, like getting
the relevant foreign currency. You can easily get contactless pre-paid
cards from third parties.

Old August 7th 16, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
[...]

But why would anyone want a pre-payment card, especially if you can't get a
refund

The transport network of South Sweden run an oyster-like card (it is also
developed/managed by Cubic), which offers 20% discount on cash fares

But it is only fundable with 200Kr (so 20 quid) at a time - no refunds.

20% saving on 10 pounds of fares is pointless if you have to write off 10
pounds left on the card.

(I can't remember if multiple users can share).

tim

Old August 7th 16, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/08/2016 10:10, tim... wrote:
There is always going to have to be a system of purchasing tickets by
walk ups - even if the actual "ticket" is dispensed on a one time use
smart card..

I was in Seoul last weekend and that's what they do there. The cost of
the journey includes a deposit of 500 won (approximately 35p) for the
ticket. There are machines outside the gateline that will accept the
card and return the deposit.

Old August 7th 16, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:18:26 on Sun, 7 Aug 2016,
tim... remarked:

Many foreign countries don't have a credit card culture, at least not
on a one per family member basis

not all foreign banks offer contactless

That's just something that travellers have to cope with, like getting
the relevant foreign currency. You can easily get contactless
pre-paid cards from third parties.

But why would anyone want a pre-payment card,

So you can pay for things.

especially if you can't get a refund

Spend the balance in the bar at the airport on the way home. Or even
after you get back home.

The transport network of South Sweden run an oyster-like card (it is
also developed/managed by Cubic), which offers 20% discount on cash
fares

But it is only fundable with 200Kr (so 20 quid) at a time - no refunds.

20% saving on 10 pounds of fares is pointless if you have to write off
10 pounds left on the card.

That's not a contactless Credit Card.
Old August 8th 16, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 16:18:26 on Sun, 7 Aug 2016,
tim... remarked:

Many foreign countries don't have a credit card culture, at least not on
a one per family member basis

not all foreign banks offer contactless

That's just something that travellers have to cope with, like getting
the relevant foreign currency. You can easily get contactless pre-paid
cards from third parties.

But why would anyone want a pre-payment card,

So you can pay for things.

especially if you can't get a refund

Spend the balance in the bar at the airport on the way home. Or even after
you get back home.

Oh I understand now

I thought the PP was referring to a pre-payment travel card (like the
visitor Oyster)

Does contactless work with pre-payment cards. I though the consensus was
that it didn't

The transport network of South Sweden run an oyster-like card (it is also
developed/managed by Cubic), which offers 20% discount on cash fares

But it is only fundable with 200Kr (so 20 quid) at a time - no refunds.

20% saving on 10 pounds of fares is pointless if you have to write off 10
pounds left on the card.

That's not a contactless Credit Card.

I know

but it is what I thought the PP was suggesting the user should buy (instead
of the alternative of sticking cash into the ticket machine when you buy a
ticket)

tim

Old August 8th 16, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 13:12:49 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

That was why I said "largely" of course. Registration is not necessary
use contactless which is why it is available to many if not most
foreigners.

Many foreign countries don't have a credit card culture, at least not on a
one per family member basis

not all foreign banks offer contactless

We have just had a referendum where the result was influenced by many
people deciding that foreigners should adapt to the ways of our
culture or bugger off so why should you care.

we are not talking about them adapting to our culture

we are talking about them being able to obtain tickets for long distance
rail travel, note that's "obtain at all", not "enjoy a discount on".

restricting that only to people who have a "magic" card of some type or
other seems ridiculous

tim

Old August 8th 16, 02:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:15:36 on Mon, 8 Aug 2016,
tim... remarked:
But why would anyone want a pre-payment card,

So you can pay for things.

especially if you can't get a refund

Spend the balance in the bar at the airport on the way home. Or even
after you get back home.

Oh I understand now

I thought the PP was referring to a pre-payment travel card (like the
visitor Oyster)

Does contactless work with pre-payment cards. I though the consensus
was that it didn't

I have two which do work. But I did have to search one of them out (the
other I had already).