Old August 4th 16, 10:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Barbican station closure?

I saw this comment on Diamond Geezers blog:

Noticed on an in-car map on the Jubilee Line yesterday that Barbican
will be closed from September; I assume for Crossrail work.

Anyone know any more details like how much (east and west?), how long etc.

Old August 4th 16, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:35:08 on Thu, 4 Aug
2016, Someone Somewhere remarked:

Nothing about it he http://content.tfl.gov.uk/station-closures.pdf
Old August 4th 16, 11:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/08/2016 10:56, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:35:08 on Thu, 4 Aug
2016, Someone Somewhere remarked:
I saw this comment on Diamond Geezers blog:

Noticed on an in-car map on the Jubilee Line yesterday that Barbican
will be closed from September; I assume for Crossrail work.

Anyone know any more details like how much (east and west?), how long
etc.

Nothing about it he http://content.tfl.gov.uk/station-closures.pdf

Yes - I looked in the obvious places but couldn't see anything! I know
there was a consultation last November about options for closure for
refurbishment and building the crossrail link but wasn't aware of
anything since.
Old August 4th 16, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Someone Somewhere wrote in news:nnv3u4$6g8$2
@gioia.aioe.org:

On 04/08/2016 10:56, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:35:08 on Thu, 4 Aug
2016, Someone Somewhere remarked:
I saw this comment on Diamond Geezers blog:

Noticed on an in-car map on the Jubilee Line yesterday that Barbican
will be closed from September; I assume for Crossrail work.

Anyone know any more details like how much (east and west?), how long
etc.

Nothing about it he http://content.tfl.gov.uk/station-closures.pdf

Yes - I looked in the obvious places but couldn't see anything! I know
there was a consultation last November about options for closure for
refurbishment and building the crossrail link but wasn't aware of
anything since.

I Don't think the conclusion of the consultation has been announced yet.

There were various options (it's a residential as well as a business area
so people are very concerned about noise) but as Barbican was also shown as
"closed from September" on the (quickly withdrawn) first version of the
June tube map it will either be confirmed in the next week or so or has
been changed at the last moment.

David
Old August 5th 16, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/08/2016 18:14, David Jackman wrote:
[...]

Aha - so the commenter that I quoted presumably had seen a copy of that map.

What makes the Barbican so special with regards to noise? Aren't most
stations with works somewhat in residential areas? And doesn't a
closure suggest they are going to be doing works in daylight hours
rather than compressed into engineering hours in the middle of the night
(which I can see could be frustrating, but then again we're all subject
to noise to a greater or lesser extent in this city)

Old August 5th 16, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Someone Somewhere wrote in
:

What makes the Barbican so special with regards to noise? Aren't most
stations with works somewhat in residential areas? And doesn't a
closure suggest they are going to be doing works in daylight hours
rather than compressed into engineering hours in the middle of the
night (which I can see could be frustrating, but then again we're all
subject to noise to a greater or lesser extent in this city)

Most stations which have been subject to long closures have been
underground (for lift/escalator works). Barbican is fairly unusual in
having both flats and offices in close proximity - most above ground
stations are laid out with a bit more space around them, and housing
densities are lower.

The consulation asked for views on a short, complete closure (most noisy
work during the day, quieter work overnight), longer period of weekend
closures (noisy work at weekends) or years of overnight work. (The later
two included a short complete closure as well). Obviously all the options
inconvenience somebody, but overnight noisy work over a period of months or
perhaps years in a residential area really isn't sensible, and it sounds
like TfL have gone for the shorter, complete closure option (which will be
a complete pain, not least because the displaced passengers may cause
overcrowding at Farringdon and St. Pauls - hopefully Moorgate will cope -
but is probably the least worst option overall).

If I recall correctly Farringdon was transformed without a major closure
but the work took years and there are fewer flats in close proximity to the
station.

David