Old November 22nd 16, 07:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Wolmar for MP

On 22.11.16 18:30, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 22/11/2016 09:45, d SubjectReWolmar for MP wrote:

Remind us what is it you do for a living? Oh thats right, nothing, you're
"retired". But you fly halfway around the world to watch trains

To me, that sounds like doing things right.

Must agree with you, Arthur. Anyway, it sounds like Recliner visits the
places that he does in order to see them for what they are -- the trains
are just an added bonus.

Old November 22nd 16, 07:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On 22.11.16 18:30, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 22/11/2016 09:45,
d SubjectReWolmar for MP wrote:

Remind us what is it you do for a living? Oh thats right, nothing, you're
"retired". But you fly halfway around the world to watch trains

To me, that sounds like doing things right.

Must agree with you, Arthur. Anyway, it sounds like Recliner visits the
places that he does in order to see them for what they are -- the trains
are just an added bonus.

That's right. In fact, only two of the four long haul holidays I have
planned in 2017 involve trains at all; I'm certainly not expecting to see
any in the Antarctic, the South Shetland islands, Falkland and South
Georgia. If I have time, I'll try and visit this one, but it's currently
not on the agenda:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sout...uegian_Railway

Restaurants feature, too. For example, this is currently rated the world's
top restaurant:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...7667519683205/

But I actually preferred this one, currently rated number two:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...7635835071983/

No longer ranked in the top ten, but still one of my favourites:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...7648526689577/

This month I've eaten at five Michelin starred restaurants. But Spud
wouldn't have liked them as they were all abroad and served foreign food.
And I had to fly there.

So, yes, it's nice to be retired and able to travel around the world in
luxury, without worrying about the cost. I'd have been horrified to earn as
little as Spud does when I was working, and I didn't have to write boring
programs to do it.

Old November 22nd 16, 08:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On 22.11.16 20:57, Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On 22.11.16 18:30, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 22/11/2016 09:45,
d SubjectReWolmar for MP wrote:

Remind us what is it you do for a living? Oh thats right, nothing, you're
"retired". But you fly halfway around the world to watch trains

To me, that sounds like doing things right.

Must agree with you, Arthur. Anyway, it sounds like Recliner visits the
places that he does in order to see them for what they are -- the trains
are just an added bonus.

That's right. In fact, only two of the four long haul holidays I have
planned in 2017 involve trains at all; I'm certainly not expecting to see
any in the Antarctic, the South Shetland islands, Falkland and South
Georgia. If I have time, I'll try and visit this one, but it's currently
not on the agenda:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sout...uegian_Railway

Cool. I look forward to seeing the pictures. How are you getting to the
Falklands, BTW, the Air Bridge out of Brize Norton?

No, by ship. I flew from Iguazú Falls last time I was there, in 2012:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...7648526689577/

Sadly I couldn't take any pics at Mount Pleasant, as it's a front line
military base and civilians aren't allowed to take pictures. Annoyingly, at
the same spot in front of the air terminal where I was told not to take
pictures, I subsequently saw a bunch of squaddies taking a group photo.

It'll be interesting to see if Stanley has changed much in five years. I
suspect not.

Any plans, incidentally, to visit St. Helena?

No, but it would be interesting. I don't fancy the long boat ride, and
flying isn't currently an option (!).

Old November 22nd 16, 08:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

Soon though, possibly .....
http://sainthelenaisland.info/buildi...#officialcomms

Colin

Old November 22nd 16, 09:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

Ah, that's interesting, and good news.

Old November 23rd 16, 08:47 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 20:57:44 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On 22.11.16 18:30, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 22/11/2016 09:45, d SubjectReWolmar for MP wrote:

Remind us what is it you do for a living? Oh thats right, nothing, you're
"retired". But you fly halfway around the world to watch trains

To me, that sounds like doing things right.

Must agree with you, Arthur. Anyway, it sounds like Recliner visits the
places that he does in order to see them for what they are -- the trains
are just an added bonus.

That's right. In fact, only two of the four long haul holidays I have
planned in 2017 involve trains at all; I'm certainly not expecting to see
any in the Antarctic, the South Shetland islands, Falkland and South
Georgia. If I have time, I'll try and visit this one, but it's currently

Four long haul? Yes, better hurry along to antartica before your travel
patterns help to melt it. Still, you'll probably be dead long before that
happens so what do you care.

This month I've eaten at five Michelin starred restaurants. But Spud
wouldn't have liked them as they were all abroad and served foreign food.
And I had to fly there.

Who needs to go abroad for foreign food when in multi culti rainbow diversity
inclusive London one can find decent food of pretty much any nationality.
Except British of course, good luck finding a decent carvery or even decent
pub grub in central london.

So, yes, it's nice to be retired and able to travel around the world in
luxury, without worrying about the cost. I'd have been horrified to earn as
little as Spud does when I was working, and I didn't have to write boring
programs to do it.

Earning millions were we? Good for you. Odd you still hang around here tho,
would have thought you'd be on your yacht in the med sipping cocktails
surrounded by some hired bimbos.

--
Spud