Old November 21st 16, 10:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Successful platform gap filler trial at Heathrow

From:
http://www.rssb.co.uk/industry-news/platform-gap-filler-trial-reduces-incidents-at-platform-train-interface

Quote:

Platform gap filler trial reduces incidents at platform/train interface

​A trial by Heathrow Express to use gap fillers has significantly reduced
the number of incidents at the platform/train interface (PTI). RSSB will
use the evidence from this trial to update standard GI/RT7106.

Heathrow Airport Limited and Heathrow Express trialled the use of gap
fillers along its platforms at Heathrow Airport, leading to a fall in the
number of incidents at the PTI from 15 to two per year. The fillers are
made from a rubbery material, which remains firm when passengers stand on
them, but flexible if it were to come into contact with rolling stock.

The gap at the PTI always poses a risk; but for passengers travelling
through Heathrow Airport, there are additional factors to consider. Many
are unfamiliar with the GB network and they generally have lots of heavy
luggage.

- End quote

The article includes a picture, but I think mine is clearer:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...6665/lightbox/

Old November 22nd 16, 12:22 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 21.11.16 22:38, Recliner wrote:
From:
[...]

Neat. When do they plan to install gap fillers at Bank, on the Central Line?

Didn't a few other stations on LUL have gap fillers? This was a long
time ago, however, I think even before World War II.

The only other place that I know of with gap fillers is on the New York
City Subway, specifically at three stations.

Is there anybody else in the world that uses them?
Old November 22nd 16, 09:39 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 21/11/2016 22:38, Recliner wrote:
The article includes a picture, but I think mine is clearer:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...6665/lightbox/

It is, thanks. It says that they will support a foot, but what if you
wheel a heavy suitcase across, do the wheels get supported or fall into
the gap? I'd have expected the force per unit area would be quite a lot
higher.

--
Clive Page
Old November 22nd 16, 10:50 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Clive Page wrote:

On 21/11/2016 22:38, Recliner wrote:
The article includes a picture, but I think mine is clearer:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...15766799634666
5/lightbox/

It is, thanks. It says that they will support a foot, but what if you
wheel a heavy suitcase across, do the wheels get supported or fall into
the gap? I'd have expected the force per unit area would be quite a lot
higher.

Spike heels would be higher pressure still. Looks like they would also
be susceptible to falling into the gaps between the "fingers".

Sam

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
Old November 22nd 16, 03:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Clive Page wrote:
On 21/11/2016 22:38, Recliner wrote:
The article includes a picture, but I think mine is clearer:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...6665/lightbox/

It is, thanks. It says that they will support a foot, but what if you
wheel a heavy suitcase across, do the wheels get supported or fall into
the gap? I'd have expected the force per unit area would be quite a lot
higher.

I think the teeth are much deeper than they are wide, so they wouldn't bend
down. They'd bend sideways if enough weight was put on them, but I think a
wheely case should be fine. They'd also reduce the chance of something
(phone, camera, hand bag, water bottle) being accidentally dropped on to
the tracks through the gap

Old November 22nd 16, 03:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Sam Wilson wrote:
In article ,
Clive Page wrote:

On 21/11/2016 22:38, Recliner wrote:
The article includes a picture, but I think mine is clearer:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...15766799634666
5/lightbox/

It is, thanks. It says that they will support a foot, but what if you
wheel a heavy suitcase across, do the wheels get supported or fall into
the gap? I'd have expected the force per unit area would be quite a lot
higher.

Spike heels would be higher pressure still. Looks like they would also
be susceptible to falling into the gaps between the "fingers".

Yes, someone silly enough to wear stilettos on an airport train would run
that risk. I'd guess the heel would get stuck between the teeth, pulling
the shoe off, but nothing and no-one would fall through the gap.

Old November 27th 16, 11:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 22/11/2016 00:22, wrote:
Didn't a few other stations on LUL have gap fillers? This was a long
time ago, however, I think even before World War II.

The only thing I can think of is the moving platform at Wood Green. But
that was a platform-extended, not a gap-filler.

Old November 28th 16, 12:32 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 23:17:39 +0000, "Clive D.W. Feather"
wrote:

On 22/11/2016 00:22, wrote:
Didn't a few other stations on LUL have gap fillers? This was a long
time ago, however, I think even before World War II.

The only thing I can think of is the moving platform at Wood Green. But
that was a platform-extended, not a gap-filler.

There was also a moveable platform in an earlier (1927) incarnation of
Wood Lane station on what was then the Central London Railway.
Old November 28th 16, 01:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2016\11\27 23:17, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
On 22/11/2016 00:22, wrote:
Didn't a few other stations on LUL have gap fillers? This was a
long time ago, however, I think even before World War II.

The only thing I can think of is the moving platform at Wood Green.
But that was a platform-extended, not a gap-filler.

That's the second time you've called Wood Lane Wood Green!

Box Junction cameras to be rolled London wide following successful pilot Dave London Transport 63 July 29th 05 04:09 PM
The Richmond Park/Wilmbeldon Common Rail/Tube/Decent Bus gap Rich Johnston London Transport 4 January 30th 04 05:00 PM
Minding the Gap Jim Brittin London Transport 6 November 10th 03 11:24 AM
mind the gap.. dj152 London Transport 6 November 6th 03 10:20 PM
Picc Line - Please mind the gap between the train and the platform Tom Beevers London Transport 2 August 22nd 03 10:39 AM