Old December 8th 16, 01:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

Default New electric buses

I noticed some brand new (66 plate) single decker pure electric buses around
Waterloo today. They look very nice (apart from the huge battery pack on the
roof) and certainly have a good turn of acceleration off the line. I notice
however that their unladed weight is 12 tons which is more than a lot of
double deckers, presumably because of the battery. I wonder how efficient that
actually makes them when you calculate it all the way back to the power
station?

--
Spud

Old December 9th 16, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 14:42:44 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

I noticed some brand new (66 plate) single decker pure electric buses around
Waterloo today. They look very nice (apart from the huge battery pack on the
roof) and certainly have a good turn of acceleration off the line. I notice
however that their unladed weight is 12 tons which is more than a lot of
double deckers, presumably because of the battery. I wonder how efficient that
actually makes them when you calculate it all the way back to the power
station?

I suspect that the box on the roof isn't the heavy battery pack. The
whole back half of the bus has a high floor, and given the absence of
a diesel engine, I think that's where the batteries live. It means
that there are only a couple of step-free seats; the others are all in
the high back end.

They presumably have regenerative braking, so the weight won't make
too much difference to the efficiency. But it explains why there won't
be any double-deck battery buses.

Of course, they're being used to eliminate local pollution in the city
centre, not to save energy. But they apparently have a much lower
running cost, no doubt partly because they need less maintenance.

They're not as quiet as I expected; obviously there's no engine noise,
but the transmission has a loud gear whine.

Old December 9th 16, 01:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 13:57:45 +0000
Recliner wrote:
I suspect that the box on the roof isn't the heavy battery pack. The
whole back half of the bus has a high floor, and given the absence of
a diesel engine, I think that's where the batteries live. It means

Wonder what the roof thing is then. Its pretty large , way too large to be
an aircon unit. Perhaps its braking resistors for when the regen braking can't
cope?

They're not as quiet as I expected; obviously there's no engine noise,
but the transmission has a loud gear whine.

Thats probably the noise of the motors themselves I would imagine. There's
probably little if any transmission to speak of.

--
Spud

Old December 9th 16, 03:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 16:06:54 +0000
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2016\12\09 13:57, Recliner wrote:
They presumably have regenerative braking, so the weight won't make
too much difference to the efficiency. But it explains why there won't
be any double-deck battery buses.

This can't be right! Pushing a bus that's twice as heavy through the
streets has to use twice the energy, and regen braking won't change that
equation.

Probably depends how effective the regen braking is. I suspect in london
traffic with its slow stop start the answer is "not very" as regenerative
braking doesn't work very well at slow speeds.

--
Spud

Old December 9th 16, 03:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

The energy cost is mainly to accelerate the bus, and much of that is
recovered with regen brakes. The rolling resistance is not only
relatively small, but these inner city buses don't spend much time
coasting along.
Old December 9th 16, 06:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The Red Arrow BYD / Alexander-Dennis Enviro200EV buses have iron-phosphate batteries at the rear and in the roof pod, which also incorporates the aircon unit. The driveline comprises two 90kW wheel-hub motors and water cooling system plus regenerative braking system.

There are also five BYD double-deck battery buses in (intermittent) use on route 98.

DRH
Old December 9th 16, 08:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

DRH wrote:
The Red Arrow BYD / Alexander-Dennis Enviro200EV buses have
iron-phosphate batteries at the rear and in the roof pod, which also
incorporates the aircon unit. The driveline comprises two 90kW wheel-hub
motors and water cooling system plus regenerative braking system.

There are also five BYD double-deck battery buses in (intermittent) use on route 98.

Thanks, that's interesting. Were the additional batteries in the roof pod
added to increase the range? They sound like an afterthought.