London Banter

-   -   Barbican Thameslink service (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15269-barbican-thameslink-service.html)

[email protected] February 12th 17 02:01 AM

Barbican Thameslink service

In article
-septembe
r.org, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
In article
-
september.org,
(Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
In article
-
september.org,
(Recliner) wrote:

Charles Ellson wrote:
On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 09:29:09 +0000 (UTC),
d wrote:

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 07:48:39 +0000
Basil Jet wrote:
Does anyone know when Barbican ceased to be served by Thameslink
trains FROM Moorgate? All of the web resources suggest that
Barbican was served by Thameslink trains in both directions until
2009, but I know that platform 4 was out of use for at least a
decade before the junction at Farringdon closed.

Sounds reasonable. I used to use the circle line about 15 years ago
and P4 was out of use even then.

On a related note, does anyone know the fate of that branch? Are LU
still going to take it over and use it for sidings when crossrail
is done, or has that fallen by the wayside?

Some has been built over, some is used for storage and ISTR might be
used for additional sidings.

Seen on Twitter today -- new LU sidings being built at Farringdon:

Track renewals at Farringdon - first phase installation of a new
modular double junction and sidings roads

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4YhuGaWIAA6BE9?format=jpg&name=large

Replacing earlier sidings which were taken up because they were too
short, surely?

Yes, I think so. Presumably there's now room for longer ones, with the
WL tracks gone.

Presumably but it's not clear to me from the angle of the shot
where the sidings will end up.

More pics:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4ZxRUeX...jpg&name=large

Is that Farringdon in the background of the first two of those pictures?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Recliner[_3_] February 12th 17 02:06 AM

Barbican Thameslink service

wrote:
In article
-septembe
r.org, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
In article
-
september.org,
(Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
In article
-
september.org,
(Recliner) wrote:

Charles Ellson wrote:
On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 09:29:09 +0000 (UTC),
d wrote:

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 07:48:39 +0000
Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

Yes, that's where this weekend's work is. I don't think LU has any use for
the CWL formation for its tracks east of that area. Any of the former track
bed not needed by Crossrail will no doubt find a commercial use between
Barbican and Moorgate.

[email protected] February 13th 17 10:26 AM

Barbican Thameslink service

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 02:06:57 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Is that Farringdon in the background of the first two of those pictures?

Yes, that's where this weekend's work is. I don't think LU has any use for
the CWL formation for its tracks east of that area. Any of the former track
bed not needed by Crossrail will no doubt find a commercial use between
Barbican and Moorgate.

That seems a bit shortsighted IMO. There's always a use for a new diversion
line, stabling and reversing facilities for when the circle craps out again.

--
Spud

Recliner[_3_] February 13th 17 12:38 PM

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Is that Farringdon in the background of the first two of those pictures?

Yes, that's where this weekend's work is. I don't think LU has any use for
the CWL formation for its tracks east of that area. Any of the former track
bed not needed by Crossrail will no doubt find a commercial use between
Barbican and Moorgate.

That seems a bit shortsighted IMO. There's always a use for a new diversion
line, stabling and reversing facilities for when the circle craps out again.

That's what they're reinstating at Farringdon. They already have a
spare (reversing) platform at Moorgate.

[email protected] February 13th 17 01:54 PM

Barbican Thameslink service

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Is that Farringdon in the background of the first two of those pictures?

Yes, that's where this weekend's work is. I don't think LU has any use for
the CWL formation for its tracks east of that area. Any of the former track
bed not needed by Crossrail will no doubt find a commercial use between
Barbican and Moorgate.

That seems a bit shortsighted IMO. There's always a use for a new diversion
line, stabling and reversing facilities for when the circle craps out again.

That's what they're reinstating at Farringdon. They already have a
spare (reversing) platform at Moorgate.

2 IIRC. But they're not much use if a train breaks down between moorgate and
farringdon. Since the right of way is there and most of the track is there
it seems foolish to me to bin them.

--
Spud