Old May 8th 17, 09:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Things Named After The Current Queen

On Mon, 8 May 2017 08:20:15 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

On Mon, 08 May 2017 00:33:07 +0100
wrote:
On Sun, 7 May 2017 16:44:31 +0000 (UTC),

Fashions change, of course. For example, the late Victorian Tower Bridge is
now highly regarded as one of London's icons, but was much criticised when
built.
The Eiffel Tower was widely seen as hideous when it was built but now its
the de facto symbol of France. However I'm probably in the tiny minority who
think its detractors were right - it is butt ugly and looks like an
electricity pylon on steroids IMO.

You'll be glad the English one was stillborn then.
http://spiritofmirko.com/wp-content/...tower_1900.jpg

I presume there would have been more to it than that? Unless thats all they
could afford!

The "Metropolitan Tower" was a project of Sir Edward Watkin of the
Metropolitan Railway, Great Central Railway, and the Southeastern
Railway.

It did indeed run out of money after reaching the first stage as
illustrated. There was also a question of the stability of the ground
under one of its legs.

After demolition, the site was used for the "British Empire
Exhibition".

Today, I believe, there is a soccer pitch on the site. :-)

Old May 8th 17, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

Wasn't the "Neverstop Railway" one of the great attractions at the Exhibition?

---
http://www.avg.com

Old May 8th 17, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

Indeed, it was. Somewhere, I have seen a picture of King George V and
Queen Mary riding on it.
Old May 8th 17, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX_MlWL7YKM

Old May 8th 17, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

HS2 eat your heart out!

---
http://www.avg.com

Old May 9th 17, 01:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 8 May 2017 08:26:17 -0000 (UTC), Recliner

wrote:
On Sun, 7 May 2017 16:44:31 +0000 (UTC),

Fashions change, of course. For example, the late Victorian Tower Bridge is
now highly regarded as one of London's icons, but was much criticised when
built.
The Eiffel Tower was widely seen as hideous when it was built but now its
the de facto symbol of France. However I'm probably in the tiny minority who
think its detractors were right - it is butt ugly and looks like an
electricity pylon on steroids IMO.

You'll be glad the English one was stillborn then.
http://spiritofmirko.com/wp-content/...tower_1900.jpg

I presume there would have been more to it than that? Unless thats all they
could afford!

That's when the money ran out. It had been intended to be 150' taller than
the French original.

Oh. And here's me thinking... another coal-miners' attack of English
Disease likely shut down the steel industry.
Old May 9th 17, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Monday, 8 May 2017 14:33:30 UTC+1, Basil Jet wrote:

Wasn't the "Neverstop Railway" one of the great attractions at the Exhibition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX_MlWL7YKM

I am surprised that the corkscrew effect isn't used more often to transport people small distances, particularly as an escalator in a confined area.
Old May 9th 17, 03:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Offramp wrote:
On Monday, 8 May 2017 14:33:30 UTC+1, Basil Jet wrote:

Wasn't the "Neverstop Railway" one of the great attractions at the Exhibition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX_MlWL7YKM

I am surprised that the corkscrew effect isn't used more often to
transport people small distances, particularly as an escalator in a confined area.

It looks like a sort of Archimedes Screw, but it's really a worm drive.
It's often used in screw jacks and I think in some low rise elevators as
well.