London Banter

-   -   Things Named After The Current Queen (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15330-things-named-after-current-queen.html)

Offramp April 30th 17 05:48 PM

Things Named After The Current Queen

I do not know much about the present Queen. I know she was born in Mayfair because I have seen the building. I was wondering how many things in England have been named after that woman, and I was surprised at how many it was. Is it general obsequiousness that causes this? They do the same thing in North Korea.

England: Queen Elizabeth Country Park
England: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland
England: Queen's Gardens, Croydon
England: Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, East London
England: Elizabeth Tower, Palace of Westminster, London (formerly the Clock Tower housing Big Ben)
England: The Queen's Terminal, London Heathrow (also known as Terminal 2)
England: Queen's Theatre, Hornchurch, London
England: Queen Elizabeth II Law Courts, Liverpool
England: Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre, London
England: Queen Elizabeth II Great Court, London
England: Queen Elizabeth Hall, London
England: Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace, London
England: QEII Pier, London
England: Queen Elizabeth II Dock, Eastham, Merseyside
England: Queen Elizabeth II Reservoir, Molesey, Surrey
England: Queen Elizabeth II Hall, Oldham
England: Elizabeth Gate, the main entrance into Kew Gardens, London (formerly the Main Gate)
England: The Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Leisure Centre, Leicester
England: The Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Pavilion café, Queens Park, Bolton
England: Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre, Exeter
England: Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham
England: Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn
England: Queen Elizabeth II Hospital, Welwyn Garden City
England: Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham
England: Statue in the Garter Robes, Canterbury Cathedral, Canterbury
England: Equestrian statue, Windsor Great Park, Windsor
England: Statue of Queen Elizabeth II in the Garter Robes, Runnymede, Surrey, to mark the 800th anniversary of the sealing of the Magna Carta
England: Golden Jubilee Bridge, London
England: Princess Elizabeth Way, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
England: Queen Elizabeth II Bridge, A282 road, between Thurrock and Dartford
England: Queen Elizabeth Road, Nuneaton, main boundary road for Camp Hill adjoining to Tuttle Hill and Bucks Hill
England: Queen Elizabeth Bridge, A322 Windsor By-pass, Windsor
England: Queen Elizabeth II Metro Bridge, Tyne and Wear Metro, between Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead
England: Queensway, Birmingham
England: Queensway, Stevenage
England: Elizabeth Way, Hilperton, Wiltshire
England: Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford, Oxfordshire
England: Queen Elizabeth College, University of London, London
England: Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee School, West Sussex
England: The Queen's Church of England Primary School, Kew, Surrey

And finally:
England: Coronation Capsule, one of the capsules on the London Eye, London
England: London Underground's Jubilee line
England: Crossrail's Elizabeth line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_Elizabeth_II

[email protected] April 30th 17 08:27 PM

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 5:48:13 PM UTC+1, Offramp wrote:
[...]

I have no objection to naming things after the Queen, but I still
wish that Crossrail had not been renamed.

Roland Perry April 30th 17 08:39 PM

Things Named After The Current Queen

In message , at
09:48:12 on Sun, 30 Apr 2017, Offramp remarked:

Picking just one:

England: Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn

That's named after her mother.

To even the score, there's Elizabeth Way (an early 1970's inner ring
road) in Cambridge, named after her.

Recliner[_3_] April 30th 17 08:47 PM

Offramp wrote:
[...]

I dare say some of those without an explicit II may have been named after
previous Queen Elizabeths. In any case, she's been monarch for well over 60
years, and a lot of stuff has been built in thst time.

And, is the new HMS Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier not on the list?

James Heaton[_4_] April 30th 17 09:00 PM

"Offramp" wrote in message
I do not know much about the present Queen. I know she was born in Mayfair
because I have seen the building. I was wondering how many things in
England have been named after that woman, and I was surprised at how many
it was. Is it general obsequiousness that causes this? They do the same
thing in North Korea.

England: Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn

No that one's named after her mother

However the Queen's building at the University of East Anglia is named after
Elizabeth II, she opened it in the 90s (before 96 as that's when I started
there)

James

michael adams[_6_] May 1st 17 12:25 AM

"Offramp" wrote in message

England: Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace, London

Which presumably will become the King's (or President's) Gallery, at some point in
the future.

Just as around 1700 Queen's Counsel will become King's Counsel,
at around the same time.

michael adams

Nobody May 1st 17 01:30 AM

Things Named After The Current Queen

On Mon, 1 May 2017 00:25:09 +0100, "michael adams"
wrote:

"Offramp" wrote in message

England: Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace, London

Which presumably will become the King's (or President's) Gallery, at some point in
the future.

Just as around 1700 Queen's Counsel will become King's Counsel,
at around the same time.

michael adams

And just as well email has killed snailmail... all those pillarboxes.

Nobody May 1st 17 01:31 AM

Things Named After The Current Queen

Are there really so few?

Basil Jet[_4_] May 1st 17 07:54 AM

On 2017\04\30 17:48, Offramp wrote:
[...]

What about Sweaty Betty?

[email protected] May 1st 17 08:10 AM

Things Named After The Current Queen

wrote:

"Offramp" wrote in message

England: Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace, London

Which presumably will become the King's (or President's) Gallery, at
some point in the future.

Just as around 1700 Queen's Counsel will become King's Counsel,
at around the same time.

And just as well email has killed snailmail... all those pillarboxes.

There are still lots with "VR" on them!

--
Colin Rosenstiel