London Banter

-   -   Hackney Chord: still in use? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15334-hackney-chord-still-use.html)

[email protected] May 10th 17 10:13 AM

Hackney Chord: still in use?

When, many, many years ago British Rail decided to close
Broad Street Station, as a sop to commuters coming via
Canonbury Tunnel, they built a chord in Hackney to enable
trains to run from the North London Line to Liverpool Street
during the morning rush hour. I assume these rush hour
services were abandoned decades ago.

I notice that the spur is still there and that the rails -
and absence of rust - suggest it is still occasionally
utilised. Does anyone know what it used for?

[email protected] May 10th 17 01:26 PM

Hackney Chord: still in use?

In article ,
() wrote:

When, many, many years ago British Rail decided to close
Broad Street Station, as a sop to commuters coming via
Canonbury Tunnel, they built a chord in Hackney to enable
trains to run from the North London Line to Liverpool Street
during the morning rush hour. I assume these rush hour
services were abandoned decades ago.

I notice that the spur is still there and that the rails -
and absence of rust - suggest it is still occasionally
utilised. Does anyone know what it used for?

It's the Graham Road curve, between Reading Lane Junction on West Anglia and
Navarino Road Junction on the North London. As far as I know it's only used
for non-passenger moves.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] May 10th 17 03:57 PM

Hackney Chord: still in use?

On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 2:26:05 PM UTC+1, wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:

When, many, many years ago British Rail decided to close
Broad Street Station, as a sop to commuters coming via
Canonbury Tunnel, they built a chord in Hackney to enable
trains to run from the North London Line to Liverpool Street
during the morning rush hour. I assume these rush hour
services were abandoned decades ago.

I notice that the spur is still there and that the rails -
and absence of rust - suggest it is still occasionally
utilised. Does anyone know what it used for?

It's the Graham Road curve, between Reading Lane Junction on West Anglia and
Navarino Road Junction on the North London. As far as I know it's only used
for non-passenger moves.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Non-passenger as in freight or as in empty coaching stock?

[email protected] May 10th 17 11:37 PM

Hackney Chord: still in use?

In article , () wrote:

On 10.05.17 16:57,
wrote:
On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 2:26:05 PM UTC+1,
wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:

When, many, many years ago British Rail decided to close
Broad Street Station, as a sop to commuters coming via
Canonbury Tunnel, they built a chord in Hackney to enable
trains to run from the North London Line to Liverpool Street
during the morning rush hour. I assume these rush hour
services were abandoned decades ago.

I notice that the spur is still there and that the rails -
and absence of rust - suggest it is still occasionally
utilised. Does anyone know what it used for?

It's the Graham Road curve, between Reading Lane Junction on West
Anglia and Navarino Road Junction on the North London. As far as I
know it's only used for non-passenger moves.

Non-passenger as in freight or as in empty coaching stock?

ECS.

I was careful in my wording because I'm not sure if there are moves other
than NR test trains. Which TOC would use it for ECS moves?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] May 11th 17 08:25 AM

Hackney Chord: still in use?

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 12:37:49 AM UTC+1, wrote:
In article , () wrote:

On 10.05.17 16:57,
wrote:
On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 2:26:05 PM UTC+1,
wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:

[...]

Probably none! At least as far as I know, but then I don't
know who does use this chord or why.

[email protected] May 11th 17 08:36 AM

Hackney Chord: still in use?

In article ,
() wrote:

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 12:37:49 AM UTC+1,
wrote:
In article ,
()
wrote:

On 10.05.17 16:57,
wrote:
On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 2:26:05 PM UTC+1,
wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:

[...]

As was said, consistent with my observations, the rails are shiny enough to
imply at least daily use.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Optimist May 11th 17 08:49 AM

Hackney Chord: still in use?

On Thu, 11 May 2017 01:25:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 12:37:49 AM UTC+1, wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:

On 10.05.17 16:57,
wrote:
On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 2:26:05 PM UTC+1,
wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:

[...]

Reminiscent of Jimmy Durante
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q0Ce6Jjqsk

---
http://www.avg.com

[email protected] May 11th 17 09:14 AM

Hackney Chord: still in use?

wrote:

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 12:37:49 AM UTC+1,
wrote:
In article ,
()
wrote:

On 10.05.17 16:57,
wrote:
On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 2:26:05 PM UTC+1,
wrote:
In article
,
() wrote:

[...]

OK. The only thing to do is some looking up. Real Time Time Trains shows
four movements today, all between Broxbourne Dn Tamp Sdg Gbf and Broxbourne
Dn Tamp Sdg Gbf, all marked (Q) i.e. runs as required. They all run from
Reading Lane Junction to Navarino Road Junction and not in the reverse
direction, with times at Reading Lane of 1336, 1343, 1539 1/2 and 1547.
Anyone know any more?

--
Colin Rosenstiel