Old June 3rd 17, 07:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default BA IT collapse -- what effect on ttains?

Theo wrote:
In uk.railway Recliner wrote:
The reports say two data centres were affected -- I wonder if the other was
BEA's?

Probably not, that was on top of the Circle & District:
https://rbkclocalstudies.wordpress.c...-air-terminal/

Ah, I knew about the old air terminal, but didn't know it also housed what
was probably then called the computer centre. I also hadn't realised the
old building still existed, converted into flats.

Old June 3rd 17, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Recliner wrote on 03 Jun 2017 at 15:10 ...
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Graeme Wall
escribió:

So what's over at Waterside?

Their main HQ, apparently. Suits, finance, customer disservice, etc.

5436,-0.487028,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x5e40cb0e56d6af7b!8m2!3d51.48 543
6!4d-0.487028

And destined to be disappear under the third runway.

The primary datacentre at Boadicea House is a hangover from the days
when BA used to be BOAC.

344,-0.4243124,210m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48767234cdc56de9:0x8fe75 35
543f64167!8m2!3d51.4700223!4d-0.4542955

https://www.architecture.com/image-l...ribapix/image-
information/poster/boadicea-house-boac-computer-building-heathrow-
airport-london/posterid/RIBA62458.html

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3022/2570823057_cc49e1f290_b.jpg

Sorry for the long URLs, I couldn't be arsed tinyurl'ing them.

The reports say two data centres were affected -- I wonder if the other was
BEA's?

I've seen reference to somewhere called Cranebank, which is also BA's flight training centre just east of the northern runway at Heathrow. As I understand it, the second data centre was "affected" to the extent that it didn't take over operations after the Boadicea House systems stopped working. All the signs are that their business-critical IT system is grossly lacking in resilience. I do hope that the company's board insists on an independent review of the catastrophe.
--
Richard J.
Old June 3rd 17, 10:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
Recliner wrote on 03 Jun 2017 at 15:10 ...
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Graeme Wall
escribió:

[...]

Yes, definitely. The obvious question that must be answered is whether the
CEO's aggressive cost-cutting led to this disaster. Previous cost cutting
didn't lead to a worse or less reliable service for BA's customers, but
that's changed with Señor Cruz, who's been busily turning BA into Vueling
UK.