Old June 9th 17, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Epping to Ongar QEII Beer Festival

In message , at 09:34:18 on Fri, 9 Jun
2017, d remarked:
On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 09:44:06 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:40:15 on Fri, 9 Jun
2017,
d remarked:
This was the furthest outpost of the Central Line, served by 59/60
stock, even though it's always been a country branch line.

Given the distances people commute now, I can't help wondering if LU had
upgraded the line and given it a half decent , possibly even through service
instead of treating it like some part time afterthought, there might by now
be considerably more passengers on it than there were back when it
was part of
LU. Ongar is a reasonably sized small town which if south of london on a
railway would be prime commuter belt territory.

Ongar's not as big as you think, and the rail journey was very slow with

~6000 people according to wikipedia, about the same as little chalfont on
the Met.

The thing is, Little Chalfont isn't the only railhead on that stretch of
the Met.

almost no additional catchment until Epping. It's far easier to drive to
Brentwood station.

Yes, the journey was slow because the trains were slow, infrequent and the
journey involved a change. If it had a similar service level to Epping however
I suspect it might be a different story. I doubt the traffic around Brentwood
is much fun and I suspect the parking at the station isn't free either assuming
there are any free spaces.

It wouldn't be free at Ongar, either (it's £4.30 at Little Chalfont), if
it had the pipedream service you advocate.

Old June 9th 17, 10:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 10:48:22 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
It wouldn't be free at Ongar, either (it's £4.30 at Little Chalfont), if
it had the pipedream service you advocate.

Obviously its a pipedream since its never going to happen now. No harm in
playing what-ifs though. Improved train services tend to drive greater
passenger numbers. Removing a train service from a town even if it is only
6K people is a backwards step and not something a public body should have
done IMO.

--
Spud

Old June 9th 17, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 10:48:22 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
It wouldn't be free at Ongar, either (it's ï½£4.30 at Little Chalfont), if
it had the pipedream service you advocate.

Obviously its a pipedream since its never going to happen now. No harm in
playing what-ifs though. Improved train services tend to drive greater
passenger numbers. Removing a train service from a town even if it is only
6K people is a backwards step and not something a public body should have
done IMO.

Thanks to the Green Belt, the small number of people in the catchment area
wasn't going to grow, and there are better ways to commute from the wider
area.

The line would have needed serious investment in order to run more
frequent, full length, direct London trains. Would you, as a London
taxpayer, wanted to have paid for more Essex residents to have heavily
subsidised travel into the already packed core Central line? Wouldn't your
generous offer of a large personal donation be better spent increasing the
central area capacity?

Old June 9th 17, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 11:06:53 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
The line would have needed serious investment in order to run more
frequent, full length, direct London trains. Would you, as a London
taxpayer, wanted to have paid for more Essex residents to have heavily
subsidised travel into the already packed core Central line? Wouldn't your
generous offer of a large personal donation be better spent increasing the
central area capacity?

Given there's currently a very expensive and fairly pointless scheme to link
the Met to watford junction I don't think improving Ongar would have been
completely beyond the pale especially if Essex CC had coughed up some dough.
I suspect a large number of the outer areas of the tube dont pay their way
and if you just concentrated on core services you'd end up with something like
the Paris metro - great service in the centre, not so much in the suburbs.

--
Spud

Old June 9th 17, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 09.06.17 10:45, Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 09:44:06 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I think the Green Belt put paid to that branch, just as it killed off other
remote Tube expansion plans.

Like what?

Old June 9th 17, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 14:14:14 +0100, "
wrote:

On 09.06.17 10:45, Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 09:44:06 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Central Line to Denham; Northern Line to Bushey Heath and Alexandra
Palace; Met Line to Quainton Road, Brill and Verney Junction.