London Banter

-   -   Lancaster Gate reopens (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15378-lancaster-gate-reopens.html)

Offramp June 27th 17 02:17 PM

Lancaster Gate reopens

The enigmatic Lancaster Gate has reopened. I think I have used that station once in 40 years. All I remember about the area is that there is a hotel there. There might've been a garage as well.

"Lancaster Gate has reopened today, eight weeks earlier than planned - a record achievement for the Lifts & Escalator Renewals team.

....We’ve replaced the two 29-year-old lifts completely, including upgrading the interfaces with the station systems, such as fire detection, CCTV, passenger alarms & lift monitoring.... [We] also had the chance to refurbish some areas of the station. This has created a more welcoming environment for customers and staff and will also improve passenger flow with a new, revised gateline layout."

Sounds great! Lancaster Great!

Richard J.[_3_] June 27th 17 10:21 PM

Lancaster Gate reopens

Offramp wrote on 27 Jun 2017 at 15:17 ...
The enigmatic Lancaster Gate has reopened. I think I have used that station once in 40 years. All I remember about the area is that there is a hotel there. There might've been a garage as well.

"Lancaster Gate has reopened today, eight weeks earlier than planned - a record achievement for the Lifts & Escalator Renewals team.

...We’ve replaced the two 29-year-old lifts completely, including upgrading the interfaces with the station systems, such as fire detection, CCTV, passenger alarms & lift monitoring.... [We] also had the chance to refurbish some areas of the station. This has created a more welcoming environment for customers and staff and will also improve passenger flow with a new, revised gateline layout."

Sounds great! Lancaster Great!

What's enigmatic about Lancaster Gate?
--
Richard J.

Optimist June 28th 17 05:36 AM

Lancaster Gate reopens

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 23:21:02 +0100, "Richard J." wrote:

Offramp wrote on 27 Jun 2017 at 15:17 ...
The enigmatic Lancaster Gate has reopened. I think I have used that station once in 40 years. All I remember about the area is that there is a hotel there. There might've been a garage as well.

"Lancaster Gate has reopened today, eight weeks earlier than planned - a record achievement for the Lifts & Escalator Renewals team.

...We’ve replaced the two 29-year-old lifts completely, including upgrading the interfaces with the station systems, such as fire detection, CCTV, passenger alarms & lift monitoring.... [We] also had the chance to refurbish some areas of the station. This has created a more welcoming environment for customers and staff and will

also improve passenger flow with a new, revised gateline layout."

Sounds great! Lancaster Great!

What's enigmatic about Lancaster Gate?

A useful alternative for Paddington if the H&C not operational.

Roland Perry June 28th 17 07:45 AM

Lancaster Gate reopens

In message , at
07:17:45 on Tue, 27 Jun 2017, Offramp remarked:

The enigmatic Lancaster Gate has reopened. I think I have used that
station once in 40 years. All I remember about the area is that there
is a hotel there.

I've been there a few times; at one point the hotel was a favourite for
small conferences and exhibitions.

Mike Bristow June 28th 17 09:51 AM

Lancaster Gate reopens

In article ,
Offramp wrote:
The enigmatic Lancaster Gate has reopened. I think I have used
that station once in 40 years. All I remember about the area is
that there is a hotel there. There might've been a garage as well.

I use it quite often when an onward journey is via Paddington, especially
if the weather is nice.

--
Mike Bristow

Nobody July 1st 17 11:39 PM

Lancaster Gate reopens

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 08:45:16 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at
07:17:45 on Tue, 27 Jun 2017, Offramp remarked:

The enigmatic Lancaster Gate has reopened. I think I have used that
station once in 40 years. All I remember about the area is that there
is a hotel there.

I've been there a few times; at one point the hotel was a favourite for
small conferences and exhibitions.

Oh boy, Mr Perry. I cannot resist an OT smirk.

Do you mean two people... and I'll show you mine if you'll show me
yours?

Roland Perry July 2nd 17 09:39 AM

Lancaster Gate reopens

In message , at 16:39:45 on
Sat, 1 Jul 2017, Nobody remarked:
The enigmatic Lancaster Gate has reopened. I think I have used that
station once in 40 years. All I remember about the area is that there
is a hotel there.

I've been there a few times; at one point the hotel was a favourite for
small conferences and exhibitions.

Oh boy, Mr Perry. I cannot resist an OT smirk.

Do you mean two people... and I'll show you mine if you'll show me
yours?

iirc the venue was perfect if you were expecting about a hundred people
at a time to show up to look at exhibits. The next step up in terms of
size was often the Kensington Close Hotel, also very handy for the tube!

James Heaton[_4_] July 13th 17 08:35 PM

Lancaster Gate reopens

wrote:

[...]

Very popular with BT staff who lived west of London when my father worked
for them (he's been gone many years but the office is still in the same
place.)

When my father had to go up to London on business, 6:30ish train from
Cardiff, then walk Paddington to Lancaster Gate, then Central to St Pauls.

Much quicker than Bakerloo to Oxford Circus, Central to St Pauls apparently,
and reliable enough for 9:30am meetings in the days when even BT managers
didn't routinely carry mobiles to advise of late arrivals...

James