London Banter

-   -   New report highlghts the important role of smaller stations for passengers (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15392-new-report-highlghts-important-role.html)

Tim B July 20th 17 11:38 AM

New report highlghts the important role of smaller stations for passengers

This new report from London TravelWatch will be of interest to this group.

http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/news/view?id=657&x[0]=news/list

Graham Murray July 20th 17 12:58 PM

Tim B writes:

This new report from London TravelWatch will be of interest to this group.

http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/news/view?id=657&x[0]=news/list

Should the list of key improvements not also include 'provide adequate
and clean toilet facilities'? Especially as most of the trains serving
smaller London stations have no on-board toilets.

Robin[_4_] July 20th 17 01:58 PM

On 20/07/2017 12:58, Graham Murray wrote:
Tim B writes:

This new report from London TravelWatch will be of interest to this group.

http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/news/view?id=657&x[0]=news/list

Should the list of key improvements not also include 'provide adequate
and clean toilet facilities'? Especially as most of the trains serving
smaller London stations have no on-board toilets.

2 points:

a. toilets are covered in the report (pages 13-14); and

b. the way they are covered reinforces the impression that the whole
report is a "wish list" with little regard to cost-effectiveness.

This struck me first with the key comment: "Small stations often receive
less investment than larger stations". That seemed to me a statement of
the bleeding obvious. I would have been much more impressed by eg
"Small stations often receive less investment per passenger than larger
stations". Or eg by an argument that investment would give a greater
return per pound spent in terms of extra revenue.

That's illustrated further by the way the report states "However, the
toilets need to be available during stations’ opening hours." I'd like
to know what they reckon would be the annual cost, and percentage of
time workable, of toilets available at unmanned stations in London?

--
Robin

Offramp July 20th 17 05:01 PM

New report highlghts the important role of smaller stations for passengers

A good layout for toilets is at Golders Green. The toilets are in the street, where the bus station is. They are very close to the Tube station, but they are the council's responsibility.

Station Supervisors will shut toilets inside stations whenever there is any problem. They are also a lot of work for the station cleaner. They are nice to have until they become your responsibility.

Paul Corfield July 24th 17 12:41 PM

On Thursday, 20 July 2017 17:01:16 UTC+1, Offramp wrote:
A good layout for toilets is at Golders Green. The toilets are in the street, where the bus station is. They are very close to the Tube station, but they are the council's responsibility.

Station Supervisors will shut toilets inside stations whenever there is any problem. They are also a lot of work for the station cleaner. They are nice to have until they become your responsibility.

You said it. Having managed a contract that covered both public and staff toilet facilities on LU they were a never ending source of grief. The scale of damage and abuse to such facilities is incredible. And just before anyone responds I am not saying they are not an essential facility for the public. They clearly are valued and important but the way a minority of the public treat them it is a wonder there are any public toilets anywhere.

--
Paul C
via Google

[email protected] July 24th 17 04:24 PM

New report highlghts the important role of smaller stations for passengers

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

[...]

That's why the city council introduced 20p charges for Cambridge public
toilets. It was found to reduce such abuse dramatically.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Offramp July 24th 17 05:58 PM

New report highlghts the important role of smaller stations for passengers

On Monday, 24 July 2017 16:24:41 UTC+1, wrote:
In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

[...]

There is a solution right there... An Oyster/CPC reader that charges 10/20p. If people knew that their details were on record they wouldn't smash the bogs up.

Clank July 24th 17 07:13 PM

(Paul Corfield) wrote:

[...]

Oh I can see the Daily Mail loving that...

"TOILET PAPERS PLEASE! Now fascist EURO-BOFFINS even want to know where you
SPEND A PENNY. Eurocrats without any CENTS demand spies in our toilets
thanks to scourge of FOREIGNERS' public Armitage Shanks abuse." (Leader,
p.3, "the Empire was built by men who urinated without Government
interference, we must resist this slippery slope.")

Unless you can blame it on the gays. That might work.

tim... July 24th 17 09:16 PM

"Offramp" wrote in message
On Monday, 24 July 2017 16:24:41 UTC+1,
wrote:
In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

[...]

my oyster is unregistered

getting such is trivial

tim

Arthur Conan Doyle July 24th 17 11:27 PM

wrote:

That's why the city council introduced 20p charges for Cambridge public
toilets. It was found to reduce such abuse dramatically.

I thought the JCDeCaux modular toilets were good - and if I remember correctly,
somewhat self cleaning? Are they still around?