Old August 14th 17, 06:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Brummie ridicules idea that HS2's utility to him will be as an avenueof escape to London

Would HS2 made any difference, for better or worse, to what Brum is like to
Brummies who don't use HS2? Two contradictory articles:

1) Our 2nd city is 3rd rate and its children are paying the price
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...the-price.html

2) My love affair with Birmingham
By Derek Bishton

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...irmingham.html

The new HS2 rail link has thrust Britain’s second city firmly back into the spotlight. One of the first comments I heard was: “I suppose that means we’ll be overrun with escaping Brummies.”

It rarely occurs that some people might actually choose to live in Birmingham, rather than London. That it could be a lifestyle choice. I am one of this misunderstood number. All week, I work in the heart of London. But as soon as the weekend arrives, I return to my other home, 120 miles north west, in Birmingham.

This has always been a source of amusement for my sophisticated London friends and colleagues, who consider me at best eccentric and at worst downright odd.

Old August 14th 17, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ding Bat wrote:
[...]

Stories from 2013 and 2012?

Old August 15th 17, 10:27 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

People who regard someone as eccentric or downright odd merely
because they prefer to live in Birmingham are not sophisticated. They
are merely narrow, ignorant and uncomprehending.