Old August 15th 17, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What's On In Bicester?

I travelled today with my daughter on the 1107 Marylebone to Oxford train.

I'd say that 90% of the passengers were fairly posh Muslims.

They all, ALL, disembarked at Bicester Village. I was curious and tried a few Google searches but it seems Bicester is not a Luton or Bradford...

What was occurring?

Old August 15th 17, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tuesday, 15 August 2017 17:36:12 UTC+1, Offramp wrote:
I travelled today with my daughter on the 1107 Marylebone to Oxford train.

I'd say that 90% of the passengers were fairly posh Muslims.

They all, ALL, disembarked at Bicester Village. I was curious and tried a few Google searches but it seems Bicester is not a Luton or Bradford...

What was occurring?

Maybe they were all going shopping?
Old August 15th 17, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Offramp wrote:
I travelled today with my daughter on the 1107 Marylebone to Oxford train.

I'd say that 90% of the passengers were fairly posh Muslims.

They all, ALL, disembarked at Bicester Village. I was curious and tried a
few Google searches but it seems Bicester is not a Luton or Bradford...

What was occurring?

Perhaps a shortage of the usual majority Chinese and Japanese shoppers on
the route?

Old August 16th 17, 12:13 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

There's a YouTube video about East West Rail where the speaker
at a seminar says that the average "spend" at Bicester Village
shopping centre is more than a thousand pounds!
Old August 16th 17, 01:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin9 wrote:

There's a YouTube video about East West Rail where the speaker
at a seminar says that the average "spend" at Bicester Village
shopping centre is more than a thousand pounds!

Probably like most of us here, my interest in Bicester Village doesn't
extend beyond the rather impressive new railway station for a 'village'.
But a quick Google finds these links:

http://www.lottyearns.co.uk/2017/04/...ester-village/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2651155/The-truth-outlet-store-designer-bargains-Shoppers-flock-town-malls-huge-discounts-brands-products-arent-seem.html

http://www.alittleobsessed.co.uk/201...r-village.html

Old August 16th 17, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 00:29:33 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Robin9 wrote:

There's a YouTube video about East West Rail where the speaker
at a seminar says that the average "spend" at Bicester Village
shopping centre is more than a thousand pounds!

Probably like most of us here, my interest in Bicester Village doesn't
extend beyond the rather impressive new railway station for a 'village'.
But a quick Google finds these links:

http://www.lottyearns.co.uk/2017/04/...ester-village/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2651155/The-truth-outlet-store-designer-bargains-Shoppers-flock-town-malls-huge-discounts-brands-products-arent-seem.html

http://www.alittleobsessed.co.uk/201...r-village.html

At http://www.meadwaypark.co.uk/Bicester/ there are some pictures of
the "impressive" station. What my photos do not shiw is some of the
ads on the station walls which describe the place as "Bicester
Village, London".
Perhaps the irony of the "impressive" station is that the crowds for
Bicester Village do not go into the main station building at all
having a special exit/entrance with its own waiting room provided by
Bicester Village, not NR or Chiltern.

Guy Gorton
Old August 16th 17, 09:58 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Many thanks. Now I know how and why the average "spend" is
a thousand pounds. We don't have shops like that in Leyton!
Old August 16th 17, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks very much everyone. Now I know: it was a shopping jaunt!

These huge malls must be the impetus behind the track work and ostentatious station, for a village.
Old August 16th 17, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 03:20:37 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
wrote:

Thanks very much everyone. Now I know: it was a shopping jaunt!

These huge malls must be the impetus behind the track work and ostentatious station, for a village.

"village" is a misnomer for both Bicester and the shopping mall.
Bicester population is over 32,000 and there is nothing remotely like
a rural village at the shopping mall!. The station was named Bicestsr
Town and was nothing more than a platform and a bus shelter with a
rush-hour service to Oxford. Shoppers from London used to go to
Bicester North where they would find a dedicated bus to and from the
shopping mall.

Guy Gorton
Old August 29th 17, 10:14 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

In the weekend 16/17 September, Reading Station will be
closed for electrification work. Trains from Paddington to
points west will travel via Greenford and the Wycombe Lines,
the Chiltern main line and Bicester spur, and Oxford.

Presumably that level crossing at Bicester Village Station will
be busy and will cause major hold-ups to road users. I doubt
the locals will be amused!

I'm sure there will be a lot of railway photographers at Castle
Bar Halt and South Ruislip that weekend.