Old August 20th 17, 12:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default SWT & NR - from deep alliance to deep something else

In message , at 11:51:23 on Sun, 20
Aug 2017, Martin Coffee remarked:
On 20/08/17 11:41, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 20/08/2017 10:55, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:01:27 on Sun, 20 Aug
2017, Graeme Wall remarked:
https://www.southwesttrains.co.uk now redirects to
https://www.southwesternrailway.com .
It's a shame they still use a network map that makes it look like
anyone in Salisbury who wants to get to Southampton or Eastleigh
would be better off walking or going via Basingstoke.

https://www.southwesternrailway.com/...ey/our-network
For a geographical comparison, disable the historic layer on
http://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

Already ****ed off with it pestering me for my location everytime I
change pages.

There's a box to tick to "remember" your answer.

Shouldn't be necessary, poor web design.

Anyway their map is virtually unreadable, even on a big monitor.

Unzoomable it appears too.

The ticket-buying facility sucks big-time too.

You have to set up a new account, why can't they just use your
existing one?

The Data Protection Act probably prevents this

Fullstop.

under their terms and conditions.

The DPA trumps the T&C in any event.

I use separate emails addresses for all my suppliers so I wouldn't want
my account transferred.

I note they have an incomplete list of railcards so I wont be using them.

This is an ongoing trend. When I had TfL u my senior card onto my Oyster
recently, the only option the hilariously mardy and untrained roving
chappie had to pick was "National Rail Cards". He insisted they were all
treated as one now when it came to validity (mainly time of day, I
suppose). I very much doubt that!

Old August 25th 17, 01:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 12:05:51 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

[Choice of Railcards on SWR]
This is an ongoing trend. When I had TfL u my senior card onto my Oyster
recently, the only option the hilariously mardy and untrained roving
chappie had to pick was "National Rail Cards". He insisted they were all
treated as one now when it came to validity (mainly time of day, I
suppose). I very much doubt that!

Are the discounts only on Oyster off-peak fares? I think they would
be all the same in that case.

Richard.
Old August 25th 17, 02:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:23:53 on
Fri, 25 Aug 2017, Richard remarked:
[Choice of Railcards on SWR]
This is an ongoing trend. When I had TfL u my senior card onto my Oyster
recently, the only option the hilariously mardy and untrained roving
chappie had to pick was "National Rail Cards". He insisted they were all
treated as one now when it came to validity (mainly time of day, I
suppose). I very much doubt that!

Are the discounts only on Oyster off-peak fares? I think they would
be all the same in that case.

Network cards are strictly "after 10am", whereas the Senior Railcard is
"off-peak {may vary locally}"[1], and the F&F/TTG/Disabled Railcard is
"After 9.30am".

Even TfL admits: "The savings are slightly different for each card."

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...discounts-and-
concessions/railcards

But how do they know, if all railcards are coded the same??

[1] For TfL fares their blanket off-peak is *depart* after 9.30, but for
National Rail the senior off-peak is *arrive* after 10am.
Old August 25th 17, 04:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote

Are the discounts only on Oyster off-peak fares? I think they would
be all the same in that case.

Network cards are strictly "after 10am", whereas the Senior Railcard is

"off-peak {may vary locally}"[1], and the F&F/TTG/Disabled Railcard is
"After 9.30am".

Even TfL admits: "The savings are slightly different for each card."

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...discounts-and-
concessions/railcards

But how do they know, if all railcards are coded the same??

[1] For TfL fares their blanket off-peak is *depart* after 9.30, but for

National Rail the senior off-peak is *arrive* after 10am.
==
This isn't a Railcard matter but an off-peak matter - if you use Oyster on
NR I assume depart after 9:30 still applies?

Network cards should not allowed for Oyster discount and F&F/TTG logically
can't do it.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...on-this-page-9

Setting Railcard discount on an Oyster card

If you have a 16-25, Senior, HM Forces or Disabled Persons Railcard, you
need to get the discount set on an Oyster card. If you don't already have
one, you'll need to get an Oyster card and register it.

You can get the discount set at Tube, London Overground, TfL Rail and some
National Rail stations. To get the discount set at a Tube station, ask a
member of staff to set it for you. You can also get the discount set at
Oyster Ticket Stops and Visitor Centres. When you renew a National Railcard,
you will need to get the discount set again on your Oyster card.
==

You can also get the discount set at Oyster Ticket Stops . . . .

Has anyone tried this?

--
Mike D

Old August 25th 17, 10:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 16:46:23 +0100, "Michael R N Dolbear"
wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote

Are the discounts only on Oyster off-peak fares? I think they would
be all the same in that case.

Network cards are strictly "after 10am", whereas the Senior Railcard is

"off-peak {may vary locally}"[1], and the F&F/TTG/Disabled Railcard is
"After 9.30am".

Even TfL admits: "The savings are slightly different for each card."

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...discounts-and-
concessions/railcards

But how do they know, if all railcards are coded the same??

[1] For TfL fares their blanket off-peak is *depart* after 9.30, but for

National Rail the senior off-peak is *arrive* after 10am.
==
This isn't a Railcard matter but an off-peak matter - if you use Oyster on
NR I assume depart after 9:30 still applies?

No, it varies by proximity of the station to London (Met line), the
line or pair of stations being used and which direction you travel :-
http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/peak-off-peak-and-caps/
snip

Old August 26th 17, 01:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Charles Ellson" wrote

[1] For TfL fares their blanket off-peak is *depart* after 9.30, but for

National Rail the senior off-peak is *arrive* after 10am.
==
This isn't a Railcard matter but an off-peak matter - if you use Oyster on
NR I assume depart after 9:30 still applies?

No, it varies by proximity of the station to London (Met line), the

line or pair of stations being used and which direction you travel :-
http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/peak-off-peak-and-caps/
snip

Thanks, but that still means if you start inside Z6 depart after 9:30 or
04.30-06.30 works at least until 16:00 for NR as well as TfL.

Outside the zones, NR may be depart after 9:30 too so a railcard discount
except Network card.

--
Mike D

Old August 26th 17, 08:27 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:46:23 on Fri, 25
Aug 2017, Michael R N Dolbear remarked:

"Roland Perry" wrote

Are the discounts only on Oyster off-peak fares? I think they would
be all the same in that case.

Network cards are strictly "after 10am", whereas the Senior Railcard is

"off-peak {may vary locally}"[1], and the F&F/TTG/Disabled Railcard is
"After 9.30am".

Even TfL admits: "The savings are slightly different for each card."

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...discounts-and-
concessions/railcards

But how do they know, if all railcards are coded the same??

[1] For TfL fares their blanket off-peak is *depart* after 9.30, but for

National Rail the senior off-peak is *arrive* after 10am.
==
This isn't a Railcard matter but an off-peak matter - if you use Oyster
on NR I assume depart after 9:30 still applies?

Network cards should not allowed for Oyster discount

Why not, if you are using Oyster to make an NR journey (I've travelled
Vauxhall to Waterloo on SWT before now).

and F&F/TTG logically can't do it.

I'd forgotten that one-Oyster per bum gotcha.

Old August 26th 17, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...cessions/railc
ards

But how do they know, if all railcards are coded the same??

[1] For TfL fares their blanket off-peak is *depart* after 9.30, but

for National Rail the senior off-peak is *arrive* after 10am.
==
This isn't a Railcard matter but an off-peak matter - if you use Oyster
on NR I assume depart after 9:30 still applies?

Network cards should not allowed for Oyster discount

This got garbled somehow. Network cards are not relevant to Oyster because
they can't give rise to discount entitlements on Oyster.

It seems TTG is the same, with discounted (paper) Day Travelcards the only
option to obtain Railcard discounts. That means no discounts for many
journey combinations which even without discounts cost less than a Day
Travelcard.

Why not, if you are using Oyster to make an NR journey (I've
travelled Vauxhall to Waterloo on SWT before now).

Not sure what this means with my response corrected.

and F&F/TTG logically can't do it.

I'd forgotten that one-Oyster per bum gotcha.

The difference is whether the children are under 11 or not. under 11 they go
free. For accompanied 11-15 year-olds only travelling occasionally from
Cambridge the best option seems to be the poorly advertised £2 child Day
Travelcard. I must admit I've not tried adding F&F to more than one Oyster
card though.

"Holders of Disabled Persons Railcards can also get discounted travel during
peak hours"

I wonder how that works if the Railcard flag doesn't distinguish railcard
types? Maybe that statement is meant only to apply to Day Travelcards.

--
Colin Rosenstiel