Old September 12th 17, 07:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Tube passengers tracked by phone WiFi

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 04:57:17 on Tue, 12 Sep
2017, Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:

Of course there is always the option - possibly heresy for Millenials - to
switch off wifi on your phone. I know, its radical, but it might just work.

I usually forget to switch it back on and end up using my 4G allowance at
home...

My Android phone uses wifi in preference to mobile data, when wifi is
available.

Assuming wifi is switched on, of course.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old September 12th 17, 08:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 04:57:17 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 08:27:12 +0100
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 09/09/2017 19:12, Graeme Wall wrote:
SMS initially.

It can be SMS, it could even be electronic billboards or display
screens. Imagine walking on to a tube platform, to be greeted by a
display with an advert from Boots - "Hey Someone Somewhere - you haven't
bought Preparation H recently. If your arse grapes are still troubling
you, you'll be pleased to know that we currently have 50p off our jumbo
tube" or similar....

Of course there is always the option - possibly heresy for Millenials - to
switch off wifi on your phone. I know, its radical, but it might just work.

I usually forget to switch it back on and end up using my 4G allowance at
home...

Why would anyone use a phone at home when there are alternatives with proper
screens and keyboards, virtual or otherwise, not designed for fingers the size
of those of a 5 year old?

--
Spud

Old September 12th 17, 08:35 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 15:16:32 +0100
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 11/09/2017 14:53, Roland Perry wrote:
Does the associated article mention whether they attempted to correct
for this built-in bias?

Are you presuming that there is a correlation between whether people
keep wifi on and choose particular routes? If we assume they are
independent then TfLs analysis still stands.

Presumably by analysing ticket data we can see what percentage of
passengers are carrying a device with wi-fi enabled (although in my case
that is often 3 or more - before you ask, personal phone, work phone and
kindle)

You have to carry a work phone? You have my sympathies. There's nothing worse
than the invisible leesh tying you to the office when its not really required
by the job (ie you're not a travelling salesman or on site engineer etc).

--
Spud

Old September 12th 17, 11:22 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Someone Somewhere wrote:
[...]

Why change environment when you're used to reading fb, usenet, text,
WhatsApp etc on your phone all day? Not tied to one room, use it in
kitchen, lounge, bedroom, bathroom, garden etc. In any case my laptop and
desktop are both so slow that they really need replacing - but I use them
so little that it's not really worth replacing them...

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old September 12th 17, 01:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:22:51 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
Why would anyone use a phone at home when there are alternatives with proper
screens and keyboards, virtual or otherwise, not designed for fingers the

size
of those of a 5 year old?

Why change environment when you're used to reading fb, usenet, text,
WhatsApp etc on your phone all day? Not tied to one room, use it in

Thats a bit like saying why bother switching to a 32 inch TV in the evening
if you've been watching stuff on a 4 inch one all day.

--
Spud

Old September 13th 17, 07:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
Why would anyone use a phone at home when there are alternatives with proper
screens and keyboards, virtual or otherwise, not designed for fingers the

size
of those of a 5 year old?

Why change environment when you're used to reading fb, usenet, text,
WhatsApp etc on your phone all day? Not tied to one room, use it in

Thats a bit like saying why bother switching to a 32 inch TV in the evening
if you've been watching stuff on a 4 inch one all day.

Can't browse fb/usenet on my desktop while I'm watching that 32" TV, though

Anna Noyd-Dryver