Old September 16th 17, 11:35 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Explosion on district line

On 16/09/2017 12:24, Recliner wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 16/09/2017 12:03, Recliner wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 16/09/2017 11:32, Tim Watts wrote:
On 16/09/17 09:52, Graeme Wall wrote:

But not for Irish nutters.

The use of a timer is not a huge advancement of tech for the alan's
snackbar brigade, but it is unusual that they seem short of willing
martyrs. Assuming it's them and my money says it is (speculation of
course...)

Perhaps they are losing the ability to find dickheads willing to blow
themselves up?

Not on current evidence, this is the first attack in quite a while that
wasn't a suicide attack.[1] The exception, of course, being North
Ireland where there are still terrorist attacks involving bombs with
either timers or other ways of being detonated that don't involve the
death of the perpetrator.

[1] In fact I can't think of an attack since 911 by Islamic
fundamentalists in Europe/USA that wasn't a suicide attack.

What about the printer bombs?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_planes_bomb_plot

Good point, not subsequently attempted again and the perpetrator was
taken out by a crise missile IIRC.

Or perhaps not?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibra...ports_of_death

It was Anwar al-Awlaki I was thinking of as the organiser, rather than
the maker.

Or, pre-911, there was the Hindawi attempted bombing that led to the
subsequent additional airport questioning:
https://www.asi-mag.com/ann-marie-mu...ersary-review/

That was very much before 911 but wasn't a suicide attack as such. The
mule didn't know she was intended to be murdered.

Yes, and that's why passengers subsequently were asked, "Were you given
anything? And did you pack it yourself?"

Which lead to me making a formal complaint about the attitude of a
certain airline's check in staff (no, not that one). When asked the
statutory question about whether I'd packed my own bag, the female
chimed in before I could reply and said I probably got my wife to do it
as men can't pack their own bags.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old September 16th 17, 11:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message
-septem
ber.org, at 10:20:13 on Sat, 16 Sep 2017, Recliner
remarked:

And they've now made an arrest, in Dover.

Trying to get on a ferry?

ObRail: earlier such terrorists did successfully get on a Eurostar in
London.
Old September 16th 17, 11:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

In message , at 11:54:13 on Sat, 16 Sep
2017, Graeme Wall remarked:

[1] In fact I can't think of an attack since 911 by Islamic
fundamentalists in Europe/USA that wasn't a suicide attack.

Other than "attempted suicide-by-cop", how would you characterise the
Lee Rigby attack?
Old September 16th 17, 11:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 16/09/2017 12:32, Recliner wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
[...]

I think the Barcelona cell might also have been planning timer bombs, but
managed to blow themselves up while making them. Even suicidal jihadis
might want to plant more than one bomb each.

Still intend suicide to get their hands on all those virgins…

Another post-911 train timer
bombing was in Madrid:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004...train_bombings

That is an exception.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old September 16th 17, 11:55 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On 16/09/2017 12:45, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-septem
ber.org, at 10:20:13 on Sat, 16 Sep 2017, Recliner
remarked:

And they've now made an arrest, in Dover.

Trying to get on a ferry?

ObRail: earlier such terrorists did successfully get on a Eurostar in
London.

One person, after the second tube bombing attempt.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old September 16th 17, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 16/09/2017 12:47, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:54:13 on Sat, 16 Sep
2017, Graeme Wall remarked:

[1] In fact I can't think of an attack since 911 by Islamic
fundamentalists in Europe/USA that wasn't a suicide attack.

Other than "attempted suicide-by-cop", how would you characterise the
Lee Rigby attack?

As suicide by cop, they made no attempt to make a getaway after the murder.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old September 16th 17, 01:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
-septem
ber.org, at 10:20:13 on Sat, 16 Sep 2017, Recliner
remarked:

And they've now made an arrest, in Dover.

Trying to get on a ferry?

OOI

assuming that he is the actual wanted person and not just some random person
of the correct ethnicity (as in - the Birmingham Six)

I wonder if they identified him as a potential suspect:

a) from a name
b) from facial recognition
c) his general demeanor
d) a failed attempt to travel on false documents

anything else?

tim

Old September 16th 17, 02:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 10:20:13 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Martin Edwards wrote:
On 9/15/2017 10:15 AM, Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 09:47:08 +0100
e27002 aurora wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 08:19:08 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

Looks like it could be an improvised device, or some builders chemicals that
overheated. Hopefully the latter but seems unlikely to me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41278545

There are reports of folks leaving the station with burns on exposed
flesh. It sounds like a chemical reaction. We can but hope it's not
"the religion of piece" proselytizing.

If it is terrorism then it'll almost certainly be down to followers of the
peaceful not in any way militant religion of islam.

It does appear to be terrorism.

Yes.

And they've now made an arrest, in Dover.

Don't these bombers realise that with all the surveillance videos,
they're going to get caught?
Old September 16th 17, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 09:20:32 -0500, Christopher A. Lee
wrote:

It does appear to be terrorism.

Yes.

And they've now made an arrest, in Dover.

Don't these bombers realise that with all the surveillance videos,
they're going to get caught?

It's not guaranteed.
Most criminals are caught due to having some form of previous
interaction with the Police and establishing the end of a trail, eg a
bank robbers trail may have started when he nicked some sweets from a
corner shop as a 13 year old and became one to watch and whose habits
and haunts become known.
With a terrorist the trail may have been started by intelligence
services observing their coming and goings with other known people
doing suspicious activity or being seen at certain buildings.
In both case if the perpetuator of a bank robbery or a terrorist act
is doing it for absolutely the first time and is a lone wolf it
becomes much harder, surveillance videos will not help if the person
in the image cannot be recognized or are disguised unless they happen
to turn up again elsewhere unguarded.
There are experts at analyzing videos but as an example of how
difficult it is to find someone with no previous look at the Jogger
who pushed the woman into the path of a Bus recently, not even
disguised, reasonable video from the street and the bus, loads of
people about.
They still have not identified anyone enough to bring charges

Indeed, and they've wrongly arrested two innocent joggers so far. You'd
think the jogger should be relatively easy to find, as his home location
can be pinned down to quite a narrow area, and he must have been caught by
many other cameras on his route.

Old September 16th 17, 03:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 2017\09\16 07:54, Martin Edwards wrote:
On 9/15/2017 10:11 AM, d wrote:

If it is terrorism then it'll almost certainly be down to followers of
the
peaceful not in any way militant religion of islam.

Okay, you've got it off your chest.* Be it noted that most of the vitims
of these punks are Muslims in Muslim majority countries.* The daughters
of my next door neighbour but one call me "Uncle".* I do not anticipate
that they will try to blow me up when they are older.

Are you sure it's not "uncool"? ;-)