Old September 27th 17, 07:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern Line Battersea extension

On 2017\09\27 19:46, tim... wrote:

"Offramp" wrote in message
It can't be too expensive to construct a really modern Wupperthal
Dangelbahn around these big cities.

but not all of them have suitable rivers

Yes, you don't want to drop an elephant on the ground.

Old September 28th 17, 08:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27/09/2017 18:05, Offramp wrote:
It can't be too expensive to construct a really modern Wupperthal Dangelbahn around these big cities.

Sadly one tautology seems to be that building anything transport related
in the UK is never "can't be too expensive"
Old September 28th 17, 10:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:39:16 on Thu, 28 Sep
2017, remarked:

Manchester has a vast railway network

Vast compared to what? There are large parts of the north and south of the
city and satellite towns/suburbs that arn't anywhere near a train station.

Compared to other big cities outside London (other than perhaps
Birmingham and Glasgow).

This map gives a good birds eye view of the phenomenon:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static...temaps/nationa
lrailoperatorsmapZoom.pdf

Train users in London, like yourself, are paying for much of it.

I pay for a lot of things in my taxes that I never use. Thats how taxation
works.

Londoners are paying in their fares. On latest available figures, about
9p per passenger mile on Southern and SWT (as was) being an excess
shunted off to subsidise lines like Northern (receiving 30ppm more than
the national average) and TPE.
Old September 28th 17, 11:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 10:10:41 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:39:16 on Thu, 28 Sep
2017, remarked:

Manchester has a vast railway network

Vast compared to what? There are large parts of the north and south of the
city and satellite towns/suburbs that arn't anywhere near a train station.

Compared to other big cities outside London (other than perhaps
Birmingham and Glasgow).

This map gives a good birds eye view of the phenomenon:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static...temaps/nationa
lrailoperatorsmapZoom.pdf

Train users in London, like yourself, are paying for much of it.

I pay for a lot of things in my taxes that I never use. Thats how taxation
works.

Londoners are paying in their fares. On latest available figures, about

Thats 2 seperate issues. Londoners getting screwed on fares doesn't mean that
the northern cities shouldn't have decent public transport infrastructure.

Old September 28th 17, 01:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:15:45 on Thu, 28 Sep
2017, remarked:
Manchester has a vast railway network

Vast compared to what? There are large parts of the north and south of the
city and satellite towns/suburbs that arn't anywhere near a train station.

Compared to other big cities outside London (other than perhaps
Birmingham and Glasgow).

This map gives a good birds eye view of the phenomenon:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static...temaps/nationa
lrailoperatorsmapZoom.pdf

Train users in London, like yourself, are paying for much of it.

I pay for a lot of things in my taxes that I never use. Thats how taxation
works.

Londoners are paying in their fares. On latest available figures, about

Thats 2 seperate issues. Londoners getting screwed on fares doesn't mean that
the northern cities shouldn't have decent public transport infrastructure.

Except where's the money coming from? Currently the vast amount being
"screwed" out of Londoners as the cross-subsidy isn't enough to stop the
northerners whinging.
Old September 28th 17, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 13:07:46 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Dare I say the money thats going to be spent on HS2 would have been far better
spent on local rail and metro projects. The government always finds money when
it wants to, even where the economic case is flakey bordering on non existant
as it is with HS2.