London Banter

-   -   Extra trains for Overground (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15471-extra-trains-overground.html)

Paul Corfield October 9th 17 12:07 PM

Extra trains for Overground

In case anyone is interested TfL have put forward a paper seeking authority to purchase 9 more Class 710 EMUs. 3 will be to 4 car configuration and 6 to 5 car configuration (a new variant for LO).

https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/do...nda-item11.pdf

The plan is that 2 of the 4 cars are for the Barking Riverside service. The planned 1 unit on the Romford - Upminster line would be replaced by a class 315 (!) being held back for that service. This unit and the other new 4 car unit would go to the Watford service to displace two class 378s to the ELL route. The 6 5-car class 710s would be put on the NLL/WLL route to displace an equal number to the ELL. The ELL would thus have an increased service level of 20tph.

In the paper TfL say they are seeking external funding for the signalling and track enhancements necessary to run the improved ELL service.

Debate on another forum has suggested the numbers of transferred units from the Watford line "don't make sense". I confess I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on that - I'm just reflecting what the paper says.

--
Paul C
via Google

Basil Jet[_4_] October 9th 17 06:55 PM

On 2017\10\09 12:07, Paul Corfield wrote:
In case anyone is interested TfL have put forward a paper seeking authority to purchase 9 more Class 710 EMUs. 3 will be to 4 car configuration and 6 to 5 car configuration (a new variant for LO).

https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/do...nda-item11.pdf

The plan is that 2 of the 4 cars are for the Barking Riverside service. The planned 1 unit on the Romford - Upminster line would be replaced by a class 315 (!) being held back for that service. This unit and the other new 4 car unit would go to the Watford service to displace two class 378s to the ELL route. The 6 5-car class 710s would be put on the NLL/WLL route to displace an equal number to the ELL. The ELL would thus have an increased service level of 20tph.

5tph on each of the four southern branches? Won't that cause all sort of
havoc on Southern's timetables?

Paul Corfield October 10th 17 01:13 AM

On Monday, 9 October 2017 18:55:42 UTC+1, Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

Don't think that's the proposal. I think, but don't know for certain, that TfL want to go to 6tph on Crystal Palace, 6 tph from West Croydon and remain at 4 on SLL via Denmark Hill and 4 to New Cross. TfL would like a more frequent service on the SLL route but I think there are too many constraints over paths and especially approach speeds / platform capacity at Clapham Junction. The paper talks about infrastructure and signalling works at Norwood Junction which puts the W Croydon service in scope. It's long been know that TfL wants 6 tph to Crystal Palace. There is also reference to "Digital Railway" funding to add some form at ATO / enhanced train control on the core ELL to manage 20 tph properly. I assume something would have to stretch further back than Surrey Quays in order for trains to present themselves on time south of Surrey Quays and also at Dalston Junction heading south.

--
Paul C
via Google

Arthur Figgis October 10th 17 06:29 PM

On 09/10/2017 18:55, Basil Jet wrote:

Won't that cause all sort of havoc on Southern's timetables?

How would they tell?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

David Cantrell October 12th 17 01:15 PM

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 06:29:02PM +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 09/10/2017 18:55, Basil Jet wrote:
Won't that cause all sort of havoc on Southern's timetables?

How would they tell?

I use Southern most days. It just works except on the few days when the
Bolsheviks decide they can't be arsed. They've pretty much given up on
their campaign of strikes now, at least without the area that would be
affected by Overground changes.

Wow, my first sigquoting! I feel so special now!
-- Dan Sugalski