Old October 27th 17, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail transition

In message , at 11:14:27 on Fri, 27
Oct 2017, Neil Williams remarked:
If they alerted me every time they processed a transaction that would be
jolly irritating....

Some of the new-breed mobile-only banks like Monzo do. I don't find it
that annoying, it's just a buzz in your pocket from the app
notification each time you spend.

goat-herder

Only if in coverage, which metrosexuals often overestimate.

SWMBO has just returned from Sainsbury's cursing at them because there's
no mobile coverage inside (What's App would have been handy to get some
input into buying decisions, apparently).

/goat-herder

You don't have to delete it or anything, just ignore it.

Is it an SMS? My g-h candy-bar /g-h phone has a limited storage
capacity for them, after which I think they get queued up. It's around
half a dozen keystrokes to delete each one, sigh.

Old October 27th 17, 02:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:14:27 on Fri, 27
Oct 2017, Neil Williams remarked:
If they alerted me every time they processed a transaction that would be
jolly irritating....

Some of the new-breed mobile-only banks like Monzo do. I don't find it
that annoying, it's just a buzz in your pocket from the app
notification each time you spend.

goat-herder

Only if in coverage, which metrosexuals often overestimate.

SWMBO has just returned from Sainsbury's cursing at them because there's
no mobile coverage inside (What's App would have been handy to get some
input into buying decisions, apparently).

/goat-herder

No free WiFi in the store?

Old October 27th 17, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clank" wrote in message
news
On 24.10.2017 4:59 PM, Roland Perry wrote:

As a much travelled businessman (in general terms) I can assure you that
the lack of a paper receipt/ticket to attach to my expenses claim is a
huge disadvantage.

Other systems solve this problem easily, as you've been told before. NS's
system for Chipkaart produces a very nice online expenses claim receipt
(which is specifically valid for Dutch tax purposes in the case of
nominal/registered cards,) which is far more convenient than toting around
bits of paper - the same can be done for contactless cards.

I understand you can register your favourite card with TfL for this very
purpose, but I haven't had to claim for travel in London yet. Since I live
outside London I would probably buy a paper ticket and claim against that.

For NS I just claim for the top-up - I'm liable for Dutch tax, but it's all
handled by my employer via a UK/Dutch tax equalisation process that doesn't
seem to take account of expenses. So I topped up my Chipkaart with around
EUR 120 yesterday morning, scanned the (paper) receipt into the expenses
system this morning, and it was approved this afternoon - this is (mostly)
for journys I havn't made yet. If I forget to get a receipt I can evidence
the purchase via the Chipkaart website, but I still claim against the top-up
purchase rather than individual journeys.

--
DAS

Old October 27th 17, 07:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 14:57:25 on Fri, 27 Oct 2017, Recliner
remarked:

SWMBO has just returned from Sainsbury's cursing at them because there's
no mobile coverage inside (What's App would have been handy to get some
input into buying decisions, apparently).

/goat-herder

No free WiFi in the store?

Not their own, and none of the major third party not-free (unless you
have some collateral accreditation), according to the several
wifi-finder apps on my phone.
Old October 27th 17, 07:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:55:20 on Fri, 27 Oct
2017, D A Stocks remarked:

[...]

See my comments about "dispensations". Having had a Dutch client they
clearly have the same scheme, all the way down to duplicating their tax
office's maximum allowable expenses in various territories as the
client's own allowances.

Old October 27th 17, 07:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Clank
writes
Interestingly enough, when I tried my Amex card, I actually got an alert from
AMex stating that they had processed the transaction, but it never actually
completed on the Oyster end and failed the same way.

They sent an alert to say they processed the transaction? That's unusual.

Not Amex, but the issuer of my work-provided credit card sends me an SMS
and an email every time I use it.

--
Clive D.W. Feather
Old November 1st 17, 12:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Does anyone else think it's surprising that Crossrail has yet to appear
as a dotted line on the Tube map or the London Railways map? Or the TfL
Rail map, for that matter. The Jubilee Line Extension was dotted for 5
years or more, but Paddington to Abbey Wood is only 14 months or so from
opening. In fact, the Northern Line Extension to Battersea should be on
the tube map by now as well, in order to drum up business for the new
stations opening in 2020.
Old November 1st 17, 02:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

Does anyone else think it's surprising that Crossrail has yet to appear
as a dotted line on the Tube map or the London Railways map? Or the TfL
Rail map, for that matter.

Given all the other lines running through central London, and the fact that
all the outer sections are on, or alongside, existing routes, it may be too
confusing to show it before or opens.

The Jubilee Line Extension was dotted for 5
years or more, but Paddington to Abbey Wood is only 14 months or so from
opening. In fact, the Northern Line Extension to Battersea should be on
the tube map by now as well, in order to drum up business for the new
stations opening in 2020.

Most of the potential future users of fhe Battersea extension don't yet
live or work there, as the flats and offices are still just a huge building
site. Potential future users of the extension already know it's coming.